[comp.sys.next] next pricing

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (12/04/89)

In article <1989Dec1.232137.11584@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl
Denninger) says:

>One of the things that REALLY pisses off a dealer is when the local college
>sells 3,000 machines BELOW THE DEALER'S COST to students -- and the dealer
>gets stuck supporting those units.  Some of those, inevitably, find their
>way into the grey market and outside of the university.

My guess is that NeXT sells the machine for about $6500.  If the schools
want to resell them for around $7000, while BLand wants $10,500, that's
BLand's problem.

Also, in this case, BusinessLand *appoached* NeXT and more or less insisted
that they be allowed to sell machines, so they are hardly in a position to
complain about deals with University dealers that were in already in place.

Thirdly, this is a case where dealers should not fight over a bigger
piece of the pie.  Instead, they should support policies that make the
pie bigger.

jaz@calvin (02/10/90)

The NeXT computer sells at list price at businessland. This price is
$9995.00 w/optical, and $6995 w/out. I wish people would quit quoting
educational prices as if anyone can get the machine for that price.
It's extremely annoying, misleading, and condescending.
-jaz

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (02/11/90)

In article <1020@abvax.UUCP> jaz@calvin () writes:
>The NeXT computer sells at list price at businessland. This price is
>$9995.00 w/optical, and $6995 w/out. I wish people would quit quoting
>educational prices as if anyone can get the machine for that price.
>It's extremely annoying, misleading, and condescending.
>-jaz

I don't know exact numbers but there are a *lot* of people in education
that are on the internet (more than industry people??) so quoting educational
prices is not such a wrong thing to do. I'm sure we will all try to be
more considerate of the "real world" in the future.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

PS. please get your news header lines fixed. I cannot reply to "jaz@calvin"
because there is no machine named "calvin" in our subdomain. Thanks.