From: Walter G Horbert <WALT@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt
Subject: Re: Trouble with xgif, binaries anyone??
Date: Tuesday, 6 Feb 1990 14:34:56 EST

From: ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2113674)
> form; however, xgif has been made largely obsolete by the xloadimage
> program now in the contrib section of the X11R4 distribution.
> xloadimage compiles/works fine with X11R3, as well. I am posting
> rather than mailing this because our newsfeed seems a whole heck of a
> lot more reliable than our mailer, and to make the suggestion that
> everyone switches to xloadimage.
>
>                            Ron

Except, that as far as I can tell, XLOADIMAGE does not support GIF format
files...  I am not inclined to convert them all.  Any help, Ron?

> +-----All Views Expressed Are My Own And Are Not Necessarily Shared By------+
> +------------------------------My Employer----------------------------------+
> + Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
> + outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
> + last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

                                  Walter G. Horbert (Walt@Maine.Bitnet)
                                  University of Maine System
                                  Computing And Data Processing Services
                                  Orono, Maine  04469

rca@brunix.cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/08/90)

I would like to see the answer to the question about speech recog. too.
Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

hoodr@syscube.csus.edu (Robert Hood) (02/08/90)

	Our NeXT rep gave us a speech recognition demonstration last year.
I think it came from MIT (or CMU?  I forgot).  They said it was not ready
to be released yet, but soon.... (that was last year!).  It was a neat
demo.  He said a large number into the microphone (it was only set up
do do numbers), and a couple of minutes later, it showed up in a little
window.  Anybody else seen this one?

Robert Hood  --  California State University: Sacramento   (916) 278-7402
  INTERNET: hoodr@csus.edu <-- NeXT mail too!    BITNET: hoodr@CALSTATE
  UUCP: ...!ucdavis!csusac!hoodr

guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.200448.1344@csusac.csus.edu> hoodr@syscube.csus.edu (Robert Hood) writes:

   	Our NeXT rep gave us a speech recognition demonstration last year.
   I think it came from MIT (or CMU?  I forgot).  They said it was not ready
   to be released yet, but soon.... (that was last year!).  It was a neat
   demo.  He said a large number into the microphone (it was only set up
   do do numbers), and a couple of minutes later, it showed up in a little
   window.  Anybody else seen this one?

Yes.  The program is called Sphinx and it comes from CMU.  I don't know anything
about it other than that I have seen it in action as well.  Our NeXT rep himself
was unable to say whether the App would be made available to the public anytime
soon.  It was kinda impressive in that it didn't need to be "taught" to
recognize a particular person's voice.

Frank
guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov

rhp@INEL.GOV (Robert Powell) (02/09/90)

Several people have requested this info now, here's what I know:
- People at Carnegie-Mellon University have ported their SPHINX speech-
  recognition package over to the NeXT compter.  This is what the one
  person who saw the demo was actually seeing.  It can have a vocabulary
  of ~1000 words, and recognizes continuous, speaker-independent speech
  with better than 96% accuracy.  It sounds nice, we're trying to get it
  for our NeXT.  Our regional NeXT rep said he could give us a copy, but
  it's at least 5 months old.  I am getting my info from the NeXT
  Academic Project Directory, Fall 1989.  It lists one of the primary SPHINX
  researchers as the CMU contact:

	Kai-Fu Lee
	Computer Research Scientist
	Carnegie-Mellon University

	Address:
	Carnegie-Mellon University
	Computer Science Department
	5000 Forbes Avenue
	Pittsburg, PA  15213

	Electronic-Mail Address:
	kai-fu.lee@speech2.cs.cmu.edu)

  Before flooding Mr. Lee with mail, I suggest you read a paper, of which
  he was a co-author:
	"An Overview of the SPHINX Speech Recognition System"
	    by Kai-Fu Lee, Hsiao-Wuen Hon, and Raj Reddy
  The paper was published in the "IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech,
  and Signal Processing", Vol. 38, No. 1, January 1990.

- One of the reasons we purchased our NeXTs was to do speech recognition.
  Currently we are learning IB and Objective-C.  We have some neural-network
  speech recognition code which we developed on an HP-9000 system, which we
  may port over to the NeXT.

-  An unrelated side-note:  I recently asked our regional NeXT rep when
  Write Now would have underlining, and here's what he told me (he heard
  this word-of-mouth at NeXT, so it's not guaranteed to be 100% factual,
  though it sounds plausible to me):
	The author of Write Now considers underlining to be the grade-
	school equivalent of italics.  So since the word-processor has
	italics, there is no reason to support underlining.
  Could be, since it seems to me a relatively simple addition.  It would
  be nice to have it optional, rather than having italics forced down our
  throats.  Truthfully, though, I only missed underlining at first.  Now
  I'm used to using italics everywhere.  They look nice when printed, and
  I find it interesting that none of the font panels support underlining,
  except in FrameMaker.

Bob

 - - ------======######  The NeXT is a Mac on steroids  #######======------ - -
Bob Powell      Idaho National Engineering Laboratory      P.O. Box 1625
Internet: rhp@inel.gov                                     M.S. 1206
Phone: (208) 526-8107                                      Idaho Falls, ID 83415

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (02/10/90)

In article <348@egg-idINEL.GOV> rhp@INEL.GOV (Robert Powell) writes:
>-  An unrelated side-note:  I recently asked our regional NeXT rep when
>  Write Now would have underlining, and here's what he told me (he heard
>  this word-of-mouth at NeXT, so it's not guaranteed to be 100% factual,
>  though it sounds plausible to me):
>	The author of Write Now considers underlining to be the grade-
>	school equivalent of italics.  So since the word-processor has
>	italics, there is no reason to support underlining.

I remember being told sometime ago that underlining was invented to
get around the problem of typewriters which couldn't handle having
both plain and italicized (oblique) versions of a typeface.  Typists
used underlined words to indicate what would be italicized words in
typeset documents.  But now that we don't have this limitation on our
printers, there's really no need to use it unless some graphic effect
is to be achieved, I guess.

						Eric Ly

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/13/90)

In article <28325@brunix.UUCP> rca@brunix.cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>I would like to see the answer to the question about speech recog. too.
>Ronald
>unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

Please add my name to the interested group of people.
Chun

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |