[comp.sys.next] Himeji Castle Art available

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (02/14/90)

I just deposited at purdue, virginia and cs.orst a full page scan of
a photograph I took of Himeji Castle.
For those Kurosawa film lovers, this is where part of "Ran" was filmed.

Generating the image was a real challenge:
Using an apple scanner and appleScan, I scanned it at 300 dpi on the mac.
I copied the resulting image inch by inch to PixelPaint [much larger than
an inch taxed the memory of the Mac], and then saved it to a .eps file.
Using macput, I got it into the cube. Well, nough said, enjoy

andrew

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
!!         Andrew Stone             !!          Stone Design Corp.      !!
!!      stone@hydra.unm.edu         <>      Albuquerque, New Mexico     !!
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

In article <1609@ariel.unm.edu> stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) writes:
>Generating the image was a real challenge:
>Using an apple scanner and appleScan, I scanned it at 300 dpi on the mac.
>I copied the resulting image inch by inch to PixelPaint [much larger than
>an inch taxed the memory of the Mac], and then saved it to a .eps file.
>Using macput, I got it into the cube. Well, nough said, enjoy

That's a LOT of work.  Last September I posted a "tifftoeps"
program (available by anonymous FTP from sutro.sfsu.edu) that
runs on the NeXT and converts grayscale TIFF from AppleScan
directly to usable Encapsulated PostScript.  Our scanner is
connected to a Mac II with no less than 5MB RAM (I know this
sounds weird; we sometimes change which Mac it's physically
connected to), and the several megabytes per image make Ethernet
the only reasonable way to get TIFF files to the NeXT--portable
EPSF files would be twice the size (hence there's a significant
advantage in performing the conversion on the NeXT).  We tried a
number of network programs on the Mac and settled on NCSA Telnet
for its high performance and ease of use--and we couldn't beat
the price (free).

					-=EPS=-

cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) (02/14/90)

I just scanned my picture with AppleScanner and saved it as a tiff and NCSA
ftp'ed it to the NeXT and opened it with Icon.  The colors were switched
(black was white, etc) but that was changed easily enough.  Should I have
done something more complicated? :)

Cliff

In article <3821@accuvax.nwu.edu> cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
	(Cliff Chaput) writes:
>I just scanned my picture with AppleScanner and saved it as a tiff and NCSA
>ftp'ed it to the NeXT and opened it with Icon.  The colors were switched
>(black was white, etc) but that was changed easily enough.  Should I have
>done something more complicated? :)

The NeXT software apparently ignores the PhotometricInterpretation
tag; my tifftoeps (see <313@toaster.SFSU.EDU>) compensates for this.
BTW, I wrote tifftoeps under 0.9; it emits a spurious 0 0 translate
and 1 1 scale--feel free to remove them.

					-=EPS=-