[net.auto] Wanted - "ski-mobile"

pataky@gymble.UUCP (Bill Pataky) (09/03/85)

I need suggestions for a cheap (<$2500) vehicle to get me to the ski slopes
this winter.  I had been using an old Dodge sedan, but it got thunked from
behind (R.I.P.).  My Triumph prefers the ditches rather than snowy mountain
roads, so I need another vehicle.  I'm looking for something that gets
>= 20 MPG and doesn't mind snow too much. (4wd or fwd)  Any suggestions?

				Bill Pataky
				Parallel Processing Lab
				University of Maryland

				pataky@maryland.ARPA
				!seismo!umcp-cs!pataky

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (09/05/85)

In article <310@gymble.UUCP> pataky@gymble.UUCP (Bill Pataky) writes:
>I need suggestions for a cheap (<$2500) vehicle to get me to the ski slopes
>this winter.  I had been using an old Dodge sedan, but it got thunked from
>behind (R.I.P.).  My Triumph prefers the ditches rather than snowy mountain
>roads, so I need another vehicle.  I'm looking for something that gets
>>= 20 MPG and doesn't mind snow too much. (4wd or fwd)  Any suggestions?

Subaru brat!  Nifty little 2wd/4wd two seater with a bed like a pickup.
These things can take a lot of punishment.  The 4wd can be set without
getting out of the car (just drive less than ~35 mph and pull a lever).
Gets pretty good mileage too.  I suggest you find one with a shell.

Happy skiing!      -------tom-------
Tom Levin (Captain Fiduciary)

"There is no problem so big that you can't run away from it!" - Snoopy the dog

{ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie

kellym@iddic.UUCP (Kelly McArthur) (09/06/85)

>I need suggestions for a cheap (<$2500) vehicle to get me to the ski slopes
>this winter...I'm looking for something that gets
>>= 20 MPG and doesn't mind snow too much. (4wd or fwd)  Any suggestions?

I've been thinking about an old (60's) International Scout. They are
relatively small, usually with 4wd and hi/lo ranges, and get reasonable
milage (>20?) though are somewhat underpowered (I'm told) with a small
4 cylinder motor. Best of all, they can be found around here (NW Oregon)
for <$1000. I would like to hear any (objective) comments, particularly
from Scout owners on them. For example, are the rear axles as prone to
breakage as I've heard?

						Kelly McArthur
						ihnp4!tektronix!iddic!kellym