[comp.sys.next] MegaPixel Peculiarities

kevin@hiatus.enet.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) (02/15/90)

My MegaPixel display is exhibiting classic 'bowing' tendancies.
Additionally a slight
'dog-ear' trait is evident on the top corners (right is most evident).
I trust that this is
not typical of other machines or is it?  I admit to being extremely
sensitive to monitor
idiosyncrasies, but this is quite annoying.  Aside from the question as
to is this typical;
is it a monitor adjustment (added pincushioning), or a video controller
[non-]adjustment?

Thanks

- kevin

---------------------------------
Kevin D. Baranski-Walker	->	kevin@hiatus.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation	->	Beech Sundowner	N9236S
Nashua, New Hampshire		->	Christan Eagle	N[Under Construction]
---------------------------------

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (02/16/90)

In article <8388@shlump.nac.dec.com> kevin@hiatus.enet.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) writes:
>My MegaPixel display is exhibiting classic 'bowing' tendancies.
>Additionally a slight
>'dog-ear' trait is evident on the top corners (right is most evident).
>I trust that this is
>not typical of other machines or is it?

I get this problem too.  Also my display is noticeably more crisp at the
bottom of the screen.

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

rskaelber@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/16/90)

In article <8388@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kevin@hiatus.enet.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) writes:
> My MegaPixel display is exhibiting classic 'bowing' tendancies.
> Additionally a slight
> 'dog-ear' trait is evident on the top corners (right is most evident).
> I trust that this is
> not typical of other machines or is it?  I admit to being extremely
> sensitive to monitor

This is typical of other machines. We have several NeXTs here at Miami,
and we found out what caused it. The monitor is actually visibly sensitive
to the earth's magnetic field! I can't remember which orientation gave
the best picture, but I believe that is was the user would be facing west
if using the NeXT (right side pointing north, left side pointing south).
Try orienting it in different directions. You should find it will clear
up the problems, however slight they are.

> idiosyncrasies, but this is quite annoying.  Aside from the question as
> to is this typical;
> is it a monitor adjustment (added pincushioning), or a video controller
> [non-]adjustment?

Just the pesky magnetosphere......

> Thanks
>
> - kevin
>
> ---------------------------------
> Kevin D. Baranski-Walker	->	kevin@hiatus.dec.com
> Digital Equipment Corporation	->	Beech Sundowner	N9236S
> Nashua, New Hampshire		->	Christan Eagle	N[Under Construction]
> ---------------------------------

 "Saved again by technology"        |     Randy Kaelber (H.R.H. King Lerxst II)
                                    |     Academic Computing Services
                                    |     Miamiu University, Oxford, Ohio

"Love responds to your invitation, Love responds to your imagination."
                                                      -Neil Peart/Rush

Disclaimer: "This posting was generated by a neural network program with a
damaged heuristic core. The Owner of this account assumes no responsibility
for incoherent posts."

tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) (02/17/90)

This is just a geuss, but you may need to DE-GAUSS the monitor. Since they
don't have a DE-GAUSS button (I assume) you may need to take a big magnet
and run it around the outside edge of the monitor. Of course if your
monitor explodes, warrenty expires, or I'm just plain wrong I will flatly
deny saying this ;-)

std.disclaimer: I don't have a NeXT, but I play one on TV

tima@polari
uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tima

joe@mathcs.emory.edu (Joe Christy) (02/19/90)

In article <814.25db858a@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rskaelber@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>In article <8388@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kevin@hiatus.enet.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) writes:
>> My MegaPixel display is exhibiting classic 'bowing' tendancies.
>> Additionally a slight
>> 'dog-ear' trait is evident on the top corners (right is most evident).
>> I trust that this is
>> not typical of other machines or is it?  I admit to being extremely
>> sensitive to monitor
>
>This is typical of other machines. We have several NeXTs here at Miami,
>and we found out what caused it. The monitor is actually visibly sensitive
>to the earth's magnetic field! I can't remember which orientation gave
>Just the pesky magnetosphere......

	This is not just a NeXT problem. A couple of years ago I got a  Sun
3/60 in my office at school. At first boot there was a striking purple
blush across one corner of the  hitachi monitor. We had the Sun service
reps out several times with hairy degaussers, swapped several boards,
monitors, &c before our sales rep got the idea to lug the monitor around
the office. Amazingly the orientation in the room had a dramatic effect!
The cheery ending is that after several weeks the problem went away on
its own. Somewhat like the story of how a swiss watchmaker fixes a
slow clock ....

--
Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu      | Time flies like an
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!joe | arrow, fruit flies

daugher@cssunf.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (02/20/90)

In article <814.25db858a@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rskaelber@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>In article <8388@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kevin@hiatus.enet.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) writes:
>> My MegaPixel display is exhibiting classic 'bowing' tendancies. ...

>This is typical of other machines. We have several NeXTs here at Miami,
>and we found out what caused it. The monitor is actually visibly sensitive
>to the earth's magnetic field! I can't remember which orientation gave
>the best picture, but I believe that is was the user would be facing west
>if using the NeXT (right side pointing north, left side pointing south).
>Try orienting it in different directions. You should find it will clear
>up the problems, however slight they are.

If the NeXT monitor is THAT sensitive then it should have a mu-metal case
around the CRT instead of plastic.  Maybe you could wrap the top, bottom,
and sides in mu-metal foil?

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Texas A & M University			BITNET:   DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX			UUCP:     uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher

rskaelber@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/20/90)

In article <4280@helios.TAMU.EDU>, daugher@cssunf.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:

> If the NeXT monitor is THAT sensitive then it should have a mu-metal case
> around the CRT instead of plastic.  Maybe you could wrap the top, bottom,
> and sides in mu-metal foil?

It's not THAT bad (at least in our case :)  ), but the orientation does make
a viewable difference in the display. Another peculiarity (this is strictly
rumour, but it sounds plausible) is the cable's 3 meter length may not be
changed, or the picture will become distorted due to some filtering aspect
of the monitor.