[comp.sys.next] Re^2: IBM Kills NeXT !!

jd3l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jean-Marc Debaud) (02/19/90)

Keith Perkins (n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu) writes:

>Personally, I'm going to wait for the new NeXT to come out before I make any
>judgement. The IBM looks good, but I like the NeXT for other things besides
>speed. I like the BSD compatable OS, the DSP chip, the music capability, and
>the optical drive - all of which I belive the IBM machines lack. If the new
>NeXT is up to date in terms of speed (both optical drive and processor), then
>it should be comparable to these new IBMs.

All this is quite true. But as for the optical drive, I think the tech.
is not up to speed. Why would you need to put a hard disk is the cube
otherwise ? True, this is new tech. and is nice but it doesn't work
well. So there is nothing to be too exited about.

You want to wait for the next NeXT. My memory is failing me here, but I
think we may not see it for a while. And with what ? Software version
0.69 ? There is clearly a problem of delays with NeXT. I also strongly
doubt that the 68040 is fast enough to match even remotely the entry
level Power Station.

I have been told that AIX of IBM s... (is so bad) Why is this ? Are you
sure it is not compatible with other Unix like BSD ?

I agree that NeXT sound chip is nice and IBM lacks it but I am sure they
can remedy to this especially with the power they boost.

	Jean-Marc De Baud
	Carnegie Mellon
	jd3l+@andrew.cmu.edu

n245bq@tamunix (Keith Perkins) (02/19/90)

In article <QZriSt600VAEA8Mkhk@andrew.cmu.edu> write:
>Keith Perkins (n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu) writes:
>
>All this is quite true. But as for the optical drive, I think the tech.
>is not up to speed. Why would you need to put a hard disk is the cube
>otherwise ? True, this is new tech. and is nice but it doesn't work
>well. So there is nothing to be too exited about.

Agreed, but it seems that the low speeds of the OD might one day surpass
the highest speeds of the current Hard Drives (see the end of the Mac
World OD article for more info).

>You want to wait for the next NeXT. My memory is failing me here, but I
>think we may not see it for a while. And with what ? Software version
>0.69 ? There is clearly a problem of delays with NeXT. I also strongly
>doubt that the 68040 is fast enough to match even remotely the entry
>level Power Station.

Actually, the software will probably be at least 1.0a if not 2.0, and while
rumors abound there has been no official announcement for a release date,
so the new NeXT cannot be delayed. The 68040 can run at 20 MIPS and 3.5 MFLOPS
which currently beats both the SPARC chips and the 80486 by a fairly
large margin (see Feb Byte, page 96A for more info on the 68040).

>I have been told that AIX of IBM s... (is so bad) Why is this ? Are you
>sure it is not compatible with other Unix like BSD ?

The IBM AIX is a combination/hybrid of BSD 4.3 and System 5. This means
that sometimes programs are compatible, and somtimes they're not. There
was a review out in either MIPS or Byte which looked at AIX ver 3, and they
were seriously impressed. I think that compatiblity could be it's only negative
factor, and that with IBM backing AIX, it could go on to rival other UNIX
standards.

>I agree that NeXT sound chip is nice and IBM lacks it but I am sure they
>can remedy to this especially with the power they boost.
>
>	Jean-Marc De Baud
>	Carnegie Mellon
>	jd3l+@andrew.cmu.edu

Keith Perkins
Texas A&M University
n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2100000) (02/19/90)

In article <QZriSt600VAEA8Mkhk@andrew.cmu.edu>, jd3l+@andrew.cmu.edu (J
Debaud) writes:
|>Keith Perkins (n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu) writes:
|>I have been told that AIX of IBM s... (is so bad) Why is this ? Are you
|>sure it is not compatible with other Unix like BSD ?

Working for IBM, I am obviously a "little" biased, but having worked
on Suns and Apollos most of my life, I'd like to point out AIX 3 is
more BSD-like than all previous AIX versions. If I remember correctly,
it supports 99.44% of the BSD system calls (a few signals still
missing, I believe) while being completely SysVR2 compliant. This is
much better than most other so-called "BSD compliant" OSs. Unlike
earlier versions of AIX for the IBM RT. AIX 3 also supports full job
control (ctrl-Z in the csh or ksh).

|>I agree that NeXT sound chip is nice and IBM lacks it but I am sure they
|>can remedy to this especially with the power they boost.

Remeber you got SCSI support and a micro-channel bus, so adding the
DSP will be no problem. If you wait for the new NeXt boxes, pray they
use something faster than the 68040. Then again, if they do, you won't
be binary compatible, and might as well have switched to IBM. Another
plus side of the IBM is the hypertext based documentation (it is
really quite nice, basically cross-linked man pages with a Motif
interface, bookmarks, notepads).

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM         @cs.utexas.edu:romp!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

johnm@well.sf.ca.us (john markoff) (02/20/90)

just a note to read the IBM prices with some care. The IBM
Powerstation 320 is not a standalone machine. It does not
have the capacity to hold all of AIX 3. So figure the cost
of a Powerserver into the equation....

dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) (02/20/90)

In <1550@awdprime.UUCP> ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) replies:
>Remeber you got SCSI support and a micro-channel bus, so adding the
>DSP will be no problem.

To me, the great thing about the NeXT was that it came with all sorts of stuff
as standard equipment.  As a developer, I'll be much more tempted to write
applications which use the NeXT sound chip, since I know there will be one on
every machine.  This is a marked difference from the typical situation, where I
can buy add-on DSP hardware for, say, my IBM or Apple.  Since only a few people
will buy such hardware, it is much less appealing for software developers to
write programs which utilize that hardware, as the potential market is so much
smaller.   Thus any such software written will likely cost a lot, and/or be of
lower quality.

--
ARPA:       Dean.Rubine@CS.CMU.EDU
PHONE:	    412-268-2613		[ Free if you call from work ]

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (02/20/90)

In article <8059@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) writes:
|>In <1550@awdprime.UUCP> ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) replies:
|>>Remeber you got SCSI support and a micro-channel bus, so adding the
|>>DSP will be no problem.
|>
|>To me, the great thing about the NeXT was that it came with all
|>sorts of stuff as standard equipment.  As a developer, I'll be much
|>more tempted to write applications which use the NeXT sound chip,
|>since I know there will be one on every machine.

I have to agree with you here. Raising the lowest common denominator
does indeed make it easier on the developers to use things suchs as
the DSP. Unfortunately, there are few main stream applications that
require the DSP these days. You might say in that regard that we are
not a leader in pushing this type of technology, but you would also
have to see our flip side of why should we force people to pay for a
DSP when chances are that they won't need it. I had to say voice mail
in this day and age can't really cut it as a great mainstream
application though it is good for annotations due the the size of
digitized sound files. Also consider the DSP as just a quick 24(?)-bit
floating point processor and compare our MFLOPS rating (32-bit).

When DSP applications become mainstream, as have intensive floating
point applications, you will see DSP standard in everyones' machines.
As for the 68040, still not as fast as our box (Interger or Floating
point). Hopefully, IBM (I have no idea what our exact plans are in
this regard except that we have made the announcement that we are
commited to it) will be one of the leaders in bringing out the OSF/1/2
OS with a MACH kernel and (golly gee) AIX interface.

+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (02/20/90)

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
> In article <8059@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) writes:
> |>In <1550@awdprime.UUCP> ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) replies:
> |>
> |>To me, the great thing about the NeXT was that it came with all
> |>sorts of stuff as standard equipment.  As a developer, I'll be much
> |>more tempted to write applications which use the NeXT sound chip,
> |>since I know there will be one on every machine.
>
> I have to agree with you here. Raising the lowest common denominator
> does indeed make it easier on the developers to use things suchs as
> the DSP. Unfortunately, there are few main stream applications that
> require the DSP these days. You might say in that regard that we are

Of course there aren't any mainstream APPs that require a DSP-- up
until the NeXT, there wasn't a gurantee that a machine would have a
DSP (and if it did, it was $1000+ on top of system price).  You can't
have a mainstream app that requires a piece of hardware before the
hardware is mainstream also...

As far as software is concerned, NeXT is in its infancy-- wait until
those applications that are written specifically for the NeXT are
released... at that point in time, a proper evaluation of the hardware
and system advantages can be made.

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so.  So there.  <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them..."

bbc@legia.rice.edu (Benjamin Chase) (02/21/90)

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2100000) writes:

>|>Keith Perkins (n245bq@tamunix.tamu.edu) writes:
>|>I have been told that AIX of IBM s... (is so bad) Why is this ? Are you
>|>sure it is not compatible with other Unix like BSD ?

>Unlike earlier versions of AIX for the IBM RT. AIX 3 also supports
>full job control (ctrl-Z in the csh or ksh).

Well, thank the Lord.  Does your version 3 csh get "$#argv" (notation
for "number of arguments passed to the shell") correct, or does it
still think that the '#' is the beginning of a comment?  I hate to
think how many shell scripts use that one piece of notation.
"Standard" and "compliant" are very squishy terms when applied to
Unix, and even more so its _utilities_.

Also, you have to ask yourself why you wanted to have a fully
compliant Unix.  Because it gave you warm fuzzies?  Because it sounds
good on marketing sheets?

I don't know if NFS is standard BSD Unix, but I'd be very annoyed at a
Unix that didn't have it or something as useful.  "How about IBM's
"Remote Virtual Disk" or whatever they called it?"  Don't make me
laugh.  I could tell that cheap NFS knock-off was a loser just by
reading the excellent IBM documentation that came with it.

If I had grown accustomed to Mach (perhaps someday I'll have the
opportunity...), perhaps I would be unwilling to settle for less than
that, too.  I wonder if it's "BSD compliant", or if CMU et al had to
warp the BSD interface a little to make it better than BSD unix?

> If you wait for the new NeXt boxes, pray they use something faster
> than the 68040. Then again, if they do, you won't be binary
> compatible, and might as well have switched to IBM.

Let's look at this more closely.  If you bought a NeXT, and are now
thinking about buying the (hypothetical) new NeXT:

	new processor, possibly from a new processor family
	still has a DSP (same chip?)
	still has an Optical Disk?
	probably new versions of the operating system
	bundled applications, probably new versions
	definitely new versions of the compilers
	still uses NeXTStep, probably new version

Now lets look at IBM's offerings.  Suppose you bought an RT, which
might be the case if you're in academia.  If we're comparing NeXTs and
IBMs, I argue this is a fair restriction, since it is NeXT's
(original) market.  Maybe IBM even put an RT on your desk for free
during this past year.  So, what if you get a new Power Series?

	new processor, totally new family
		IBM is apparently abandoning the ROMP?
	new operating system version
		AIX 2.2.1 is the highest supported version of AIX on
		your old RT.  AIX 3.whatever is the first version for
		the new IBM boxes.
	new compilers
		The America chip set has a totally new instruction
		format; I'm pretty sure IBM has the only compilers for
		it.
	new window system?
		I really don't know the story here, but I know that
		historically IBM's support of a particular window
		system for its hardware has been less than coherent.
		Sort of like Sun.  Sort of unlike NeXT.

What really is the difference here?  You might as well have _not_
switched to the IBM.  Or, if you've got an old IBM, you might as well
switch to the new NeXT, since your old IBM and new IBM are about as
"binary incompatible" as can be.  The two lists above are very
inconclusive.

I argue that NeXT is much more committed to keeping much of the
ancillary parts of the system the same, because that (perceived)
guaranteed "minimal" configuration is what will preserve their niche
market.  ("Minimal" has the wrong connotation, since Jobs' notion of
"minimal" appears fairly ample compared to many manufacturers'.)  On
the next NeXT, you'll probably still have a fairly large set of the
hardware toys found on the first NeXT.  This encourages sophisticated
software that expects and exploits the presence of these hardware
toys.  Also, in NeXT, you've got a company that is clearly interested
in that product line, and the window system that runs on it.

In recent history, I see no such coherencey, commitment, and "minimal"
configuration from IBM for its academic products.

I hate for this posting to be such a diatribe, but you asked for it,
Ronald.
--
	Ben Chase <bbc@rice.edu>, Rice University, Houston, Texas

davef@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Finkelstein) (02/21/90)

In article <1550@awdprime.UUCP> @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron writes:

>Another plus side of the IBM is the hypertext based documentation (it is
>really quite nice, basically cross-linked man pages with a Motif
>interface, bookmarks, notepads).

Except it doesn't run under NextStep, and you can't use it to access
any other texts (which you can do with the Digital Librarian) and you
can't author in it.  You can't create your own documents with it.
True they may add that functionality in the future, but when they do
they better make it so that your original documents didn't have to be
written in Interleaf (the hypertext based documentation was first
written in Interleaf and brought over).  But it does have a lot of
potential, and I think IBM understands this University need.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu

dar@telesoft.com (David Reisner) (02/21/90)

In article <4274@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n245bq@tamunix (Keith Perkins) writes:
> ...The 68040 can run at 20 MIPS and 3.5 MFLOPS

(All I want is a machine that will do >= 10 MIPS with fast i/o and a separate
display processor.  (And to think that I used to think that having my own
11/780 would be enough!))

> The IBM AIX is a combination/hybrid of BSD 4.3 and System 5. This means
> that sometimes programs are compatible, and somtimes they're not. There
> was a review out in either MIPS or Byte which looked at AIX ver 3, and they
> were seriously impressed. I think that compatiblity could be its only negative
> factor, and that with IBM backing AIX, it could go on to rival other UNIX
> standards.

Advertisements indicate that IBM's POWER uses OSF/Motif (which appears to
be much prettier than OpenLook).  My understanding is that OSF has also
chosen Mach as their Unix kernel (good news for NeXT).  Perhaps (maybe?
hopefully?) IBM will move to (an IBM pissed in version of) Mach.

-David
{uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!dar, dar@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu