[comp.sys.next] XNeXT WORKS!!!

fellman@celece.ucsd.edu (Ronald Fellman) (02/22/90)

I just wanted to mention how thrilled I am with XNeXT!! The installation
was simple and flawless. I suddenly have a window on the rest of the
world.  I ran several programs from a DECStation 3100 ON MY NeXT!! I
just rlogged into the 3100, set the DISPLAY variable and up popped the
X application window in the XNeXT window.  There is no noticable
degradation in preformance because of any overhead of the application.
The only problems I had were:
1) Clipping of the window on some apps (like xmille and mahjongg)
(Perhaps can be fixed by using a -geometry arg somewhere)
2) Color mapping

It was amazing seeing things like xfish and spice run as if the NeXT
was the DECStation but with all of the NextStep apps running on the same
box!!

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth...
-ron

walters@chance.uucp (Chris Walters) (02/23/90)

In article <7878@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> rfellman@ucsd.edu (Ronald D. Fellman) writes:
>I just wanted to mention how thrilled I am with XNeXT!! The installation

Me too.  My feet are getting a rest because I can now fulfill my X
obligations from my OFFICE!  Yahoo!

>Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth...
>-ron

Ditto,
  -- chris

"My days are in the yellow leaf;          | Chris Walters
  the flowers and fruits of love are gone;| MITRE McLEAN, (703)883-6159
 The worm, the canker, and the grief      | walters@community-chest.mitre.org
  are mine alone!" -- Byron               | walters@euler.mitre.org (NeXT mail)