[comp.sys.next] HitchHiker1.1

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/18/90)

HitchHiker1.1 is now out.  It is in the submissions directory of cs.orst.edu
and I have mailed it to j.cc.purdue.edu.

You will now notice it comes in two parts
HitchHiker.aux.tar.Z  -- The xmodem and zmodem files.  If you have HitchHiker1.0
	then you have everything in here.
HitchHiker1.1.tar.Z -- The new program.  Much easier to install and use.
	Many new features, but mostly just a fixup of the interface.

I have mailed HitchHiker1.1.tar.Z to people who have given me bug reports as
my way of saying thanks.

Michael Rutman

ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) (02/24/90)

In article <118400008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Now, my plug for the day, I have made HitchHiker1.1, which makes serial port
>easy enough for even a beginner to use.  If you don't like something in
>HitchHiker, you can purchase the source code and modify it yourself.
>
>Michael Rutman
>jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Whenever I run HitchHiker, the machine slows to a crawl as soon as I
try to open a port.  If I type into the string gadget which specifies
an external terminal, it takes several minutes for the text to show up.
The load average rises by 4-5 units, but no extra processes are running.

Are there any happy HitchHiker users out there?

I can get c-kermit working in a regular terminal window just fine.
Is there something special I need to set up for HitchHiker to function
properly?  Or is this the thing I don't like which I can fix myself if
I shell out the non-trivial amount the author requests for source 8-)?

Ofer Licht
ofer@stat.berkeley.edu