[comp.sys.next] talk

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/27/89)

Maybe this is old news, but the binaries for talk and talkd that come with
the .8 release hang the system.  I found some source destined for suns,
compiled it with only minor problems (including the fact that getlogin()
doesn't work on Terminal windows), and it works nicely.  The virgin 4.3
sources hang the machine as well; maybe it's a byteorder problem, but
don't quote me.

The moral of the story is to remove /etc/talk and /etc/talkd RIGHT NOW
unless you want your machine to hang...

Steve
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

tj@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Cal Thixton) (06/01/89)

In article <9182@csli.Stanford.EDU> dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:
>I'd say, post that sucker --
>I think the level of interest would certainly merit it.

Ok, I will.  And now for a deal.  I'll post two fixes for the price
of one.

Fix 1:

1a.  Su to root.
1b.  cp /usr/etc/talkd /usr/etc/ntalkd

Fix 2:

2a.  su to root
2b.  Edit /private/etc/inetd.conf
2c.  Change the following line from

ntalk	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/ntalkd 	ntalkd

ntalk	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/talkd	 	ntalkd

Hope this helps.

		morris meyer (mmeyer@next.com)
		software engineer
		NeXT OS Group
--

sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) (02/02/90)

Help!

I need to get talk (talkd) running on the NeXTs.  It comes up with a cute
message:
You don't exist. Go away.

I remember someone awhile back posting on how to do this, but it seems
that no one has ever gotten it to work.  I want to use it to
talk between NeXT's and to other systems on the same net.

Thanks!

--
<<<     sstanfie@polyslo.calpoly.edu
-/-    	NeXT Campus Consultant

In article <25c8b46f.14b9@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>
	sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:
>I need to get talk (talkd) running on the NeXTs.  It comes up with a cute
>message:
>You don't exist. Go away.

Probably "your fault" -- it works fine here.  Best guesses:

	1) you tried running talk under script
	2) some idiot removed Terminal's set-uid bit

					-=EPS=-
--
Find a nearby mirror, see if you have a reflection.  I won't
discount the possibility that you actually don't exist, in which

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/05/90)

In article <25c8b46f.14b9@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:
> Help!
>
> I need to get talk (talkd) running on the NeXTs.  It comes up with a cute
> message:
> You don't exist. Go away.
>
> I remember someone awhile back posting on how to do this, but it seems
> that no one has ever gotten it to work.  I want to use it to
> talk between NeXT's and to other systems on the same net.

Just as a wild guess, it might have something to do with not finding your
name in the /etc/passwd file (if your system is running netinfo).  You might
have to modify the code so that it does get information from netinfo.

--
Peter Murray                                    pm8moper@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
205 Hepburn Hall                                        pm8moper@miamiu.bitnet

wsd@cs.brown.edu (Wm. Scott `Spot' Draves) (02/24/90)

In article <770.25cc8d2a@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

   In article <25c8b46f.14b9@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, sstanfie@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (skot) writes:
   > Help!
   >
   > I need to get talk (talkd) running on the NeXTs.  It comes up with a cute
   > message:
   > You don't exist. Go away.
   >
   > I remember someone awhile back posting on how to do this, but it seems
   > that no one has ever gotten it to work.  I want to use it to
   > talk between NeXT's and to other systems on the same net.

   Just as a wild guess, it might have something to do with not finding your
   name in the /etc/passwd file (if your system is running netinfo).  You might
   have to modify the code so that it does get information from netinfo.

   --
   Peter Murray                                    pm8moper@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
   205 Hepburn Hall                                        pm8moper@miamiu.bitnet
   Miami University                                        pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
   513/529-4944                                     murrayp@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

Close.  You (and your tty) are not in the /etc/utmp file.

Scott Draves			Space... The Final Frontier
wsd@cs.brown.edu
uunet!brunix!wsd
Box 2555 Brown U Prov RI 02912