[comp.sys.next] GUI interface complaint

awang@isl.Stanford.EDU (Avery Wang) (02/25/90)

I am really mostly happy with the windowing system and workspace manager
on the NeXT except for these two things:

	a minor complaint: In the browser, when I double click on a document
or applicaton in the text columns, it opens up, just as when I double-click
on its icon, either in the browser's single icon compartment or in a
view-by-icon directory window--This is fine.  What seems a little
inconsistent is when I double-click on the name of a directory--Nothing
happens, other than showing its contents in the column to the right in the
browser.  When I double click on the icon of a directory in the browser,
*then* it opens up a view-by-icon window of its contents.  I think that
double-clicking on both the name of the directory and its icon should
yield the same result, especially to be consistent with the documents and
applications.

	bigger complaint: There should be a way to get windows to cycle
from top to bottom so that if I have a messy desktop I don't have to go
fishing for a window buried under 50 others.  On the HP 9000's running
X windows clicking on the background causes the windows to cycle from
front to back.  Alternatively, there could be some menu or icon that has a
list of all the windows, so I need only select the one I want directly.

This brings up another point--in the case of lots of menu items, it would
be desirable to have scrolling menus...

-Avery Wang
awang@isl.stanford.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/26/90)

The only real complaint I have so far with the GUI is the
following:

I like to put the menu of an app at a place where it can't be
seen (i.e. off the screen). This way it does not take away a
lot of 'expensive' screen space. Hitting the right mouse button
is anyway much more convenient that searching for the menu
somewhere on the screen.

Now the problem:

If I click the right mouse button close to the window boarder
the menu just gets clipped, but does not move up so that it is
accessible as a whole. This is solved better in X (sorry, that
is true..) This is especially annoying with programs like
Mathematice which has LONG menues. So you have to start thinking
on where to move the mouse to before you click for the menue.

Another bad thing: you can not tear off a submenue, if you got
the main menu by clicking the right mouse button. Moving on the
submenu title and dragging should do it...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/27/90)

In article <30633@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>I like to put the menu of an app at a place where it can't be
>seen (i.e. off the screen).
>Another bad thing: you can not tear off a submenue, if you got
>the main menu by clicking the right mouse button.

I also don't like the menus in the upper-left corner.  For some apps,
however, you REALLY want tear-offs to work (WriteNow, for example).  I've
made a compromise:

% dwrite NXMenuX 1053
% dwrite NXMenuY " 20"

This puts the menu at the bottom right of the screen.  Since I can't move the
dock out of that corner anyway (why, NeXT?), this wastes no unwasted space.
Since just the title of the menu is showing, most of the icon at that
location is also visible.  AND, when I want to tear off a menu, I can drag
the menus further onto the screen, do my thing, and put them back in the
corner.

It would definitely be better if we could get tear-offs from right-button
menus, though.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner