[comp.sys.next] Need help with sendmail

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (02/26/90)

We are (still) clueless about our sendmail problems.

We tried using a "configuration freeze" file, but that gave
us a bus error every time sendmail was invoked -- so we are not
using the freeze file.

When we sen mail from our next, it just sits there in the queue,
with an 'X' right next to the size. Sits and sits -- for months.

When we telnet to the machine on port 25, the smtp port, characters
echo back but the daemon doesn't answer. It was started okay
(-q1h -bd or whatever) and /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog has no hints.
But mailers trying to get acknowledgement from it just time out
and bounce mail. So mail doesn't go in or out.

Our netinfo information (services) all seemed to check out, as did
the MailManager thing. Our sendmail.cf file is the same as it was
when sendmail suddenly stopped working, and it still works on
other NeXT boxes around here.

What could be wrong?

Help!

Thanks for any hints,
--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

In article <12427@csli.Stanford.EDU> dmr@csli.stanford.edu
	(Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:
>We are (still) clueless about our sendmail problems.
>
>We tried using a "configuration freeze" file, but that gave
>us a bus error every time sendmail was invoked -- so we are not
>using the freeze file.

If you read the Release Notes for 1.0, you'll find the following:

+ Sendmail doesn't support frozen configuration files.

Presumably you've replaced the NeXT-supplied sendmail.cf with one
of Stanford's design; if so, you should seek local help.  If not,
grab ~ftp/pub/README.sendmail from sutro.sfsu.edu; it describes
what we did to get sendmail working here.

					-=EPS=-