[comp.sys.next] LockScreen?

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/27/90)

I just compiled LockScren, and thought the thing looks nice, BUT
then came my standard test for robustness: CTRL-C and
whoops, I had all my desktop in control...
Well, I don't really like the idea of CTRL-C as a universal
password...
Or am I doing something wrong?

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (02/27/90)

In article <30740@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>I just compiled LockScren, and thought the thing looks nice, BUT
>then came my standard test for robustness: CTRL-C and
>whoops, I had all my desktop in control...
>Well, I don't really like the idea of CTRL-C as a universal
>password...
>Or am I doing something wrong?

Most likely you are doing something wrong. I did some tests and think I have
figured out what is wrong. I tried the CTRL-C thing (before I released it
of course), and nothing happened. I just tried it again and nothing happened.

I next changed my password to be blank and did a CTRL-C while the screen
was locked and *kaboom* there goes the lock. I don't consider this to be
a bug. If you don't have a password then what good is a password controlled
lock?
So put a password on your account (and root's also) and try it again.

I hope Ronald's article doesn't scare anyone off. LockScreen is a good
product and enhancements are coming in version 3.0 (which will get under
weigh as soon as finals are over.) Sales are going very well, please keep
them alive.

Bryce Jasmer
Eagle Software
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu