[comp.sys.next] Kermit for NeXT

maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul x17637) (02/22/90)

Does anyone know when and if this will be available?  I made the mistake
of buying the MacLink software by DataViz and I can only move one file
at a time.

Rob Maul, maul@asic.nsc.com

In article <124@cavanasic.nsc.com> maul@asic.nsc.com
	(Robert Maul x17637) writes:
>Does anyone know when and if this will be available?  I made the mistake
>of buying the MacLink software by DataViz and I can only move one file
>at a time.

Are you looking for a snazzy GUI version?  Or just something that
works?  The latter's available by anonymous FTP from
sutro.sfsu.edu in the pub subdirectory (or you can get the
sources to the newer "test" version from watsun.cc.columbia.edu
and compile them yourself).

Note that the snazzy GUI version for the Macintosh is built from
the same C sources as the UNIX version--surely someone is working
on a NeXT front end?
					-=EPS=-

suh@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (02/23/90)

In article <326@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>Does anyone know when and if this will be available?  I made the mistake
>>of buying the MacLink software by DataViz and I can only move one file
>>at a time.

Hi,

I have recently been testing C-Kermit version 5a on the NeXT.  It is
incredible.  It has the following features:

	- script support: allows for input/output commands like
	  PC-Kermit version 3.0 (no longer uucp style)
	- extended packet support (packet sizes of up to 2000)
	- sliding windows
	- use of wildcards to allow for multiple file transfers
	- set host command (allows you to use kermit to log onto other
	  systems while kermit rides on top of telnet)
	- the list goes on...

It can be obtained via anonymous ftp from watsun.cc.columbia.edu

One other note: This version of Kermit has not been officially released
and is therefore not supported.

/ken

Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Columbia University Station                  ..!rutgers!columbia!watsun!suh
P.O. Box 250039				     suh@CUMIN.BITNET
New York, NY  10025-9991

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/24/90)

/* Written  5:26 pm  Feb 21, 1990 by maul@asic.nsc.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
/* ---------- "Kermit for NeXT" ---------- */
>Does anyone know when and if this will be available?  I made the mistake
>of buying the MacLink software by DataViz and I can only move one file
>at a time.

Kermit for the NeXT has been out all along.  You can anonymously ftp download
it from j.cc.purdue.edu or from cs.orst.edu, but you'll probably hate it.
I recommend that you get xmodem or zmodem as they are a bit easier to use
(at least in my experience).

Now, my plug for the day, I have made HitchHiker1.1, which makes serial port
easy enough for even a beginner to use.  HitchHiker.aux included binaries for
xmodem and zmodem.  You can get HitchHiker from anonymous ftp sites.  If you
don't like something in HitchHiker, you can purchase the source code and modify
it yourself.

Michael Rutman
jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/25/90)

>Whenever I run HitchHiker, the machine slows to a crawl as soon as I
>try to open a port.  If I type into the string gadget which specifies
>an external terminal, it takes several minutes for the text to show up.
>The load average rises by 4-5 units, but no extra processes are running.

  HitchHiker must be owned by root and have its suid bit set or it cannot
open the serial ports.  The effects you describe sounds like HH is not set
up this way.  Go to it's directory and type ls -lg HitchHiker1.1
You should see
-rwsr-xr-x root wheel <<size>> Hitch.......

if there is no s, you need to type chmod u+s HitchHiker1.1 while root.
if root does not own it, the command is chown root HitchHiker1.1

Appearently, on a lot of NeXT machines, the owner becomes me instead of root.
I have found this out through people E-Mailing me, but I have no idea why the
number for root would be different on different machines.

>Are there any happy HitchHiker users out there?
While some people have E-mailed me saying that HH is perfect except for one
bug or something, nobody has purchased it yet, so I don't think there are.
Oh well, so much for a low-end shareware market for the NeXT.  I will continue
to support it, but until at least one person purchases it, there will be no
HH1.2

Michael Rutman
jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
#include <std.discl>

maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) (02/27/90)

Thank you all for your quick replies.  Some of you responded directly
some by posting.

However, I still have a problem.  I do not have anonymous FTP capability.
All of the responders used FTP to get the files.

I can not find an archive-server with the source in shar form. If anyone
knows where I can get a copy in shar form please let me know.

Here is a summary of the responses for people with anonymous FTP capability.

Thanks again,

Rob Maul, maul@asic.nsc.com

* * * top of include * * *
>From: Jerry Whelan  <whelan@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
>Yes, the kermit binary is available from j.cc.purdue.edu.

>From: <sun!UICVM.uic.edu!CFJPH%ECNCDC.BITNET@nsc.nsc.com>
>got it from j.cc.purdue.edu (I believe the version number was 4F(077)) and
>it ran fine until I tried to send a file from the NeXT to another machine.
>That caused a bus error every time.  I finally got version 4C(057) and it
>has no problems.  I'm afraid I can't provide a source for that version, but
>people tell me it's readily available from many ftp sites.

>From: cdr@acc.stolaf.edu
>You may be in luck!  We have C-Kermit running on the NeXT -- it is
>available via anonymous ftp from sachiko.acc.stolaf.edu [130.71.128.17].
>cd to /usr/src/local/bin/.tar and grab C-Kermit.tar.Z

>From: Pascal Chesnais <lacsap@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
>kermit is available on one of the archive (cs.orst.edu or j.cc.purdue.edu)
>machines in the binaries directory...

>From: larry hughes <hughes@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
>I got the standard distrubtion from Columbia to work, but as I

>From: eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>FTP from sutro.sfsu.edu in the pub subdirectory (or you can get the
>sources to the newer "test" version from watsun.cc.columbia.edu
>and compile them yourself).

>From: suh@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
>It can be obtained via anonymous ftp from watsun.cc.columbia.edu

>From: jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>Kermit for the NeXT has been out all along.  You can anonymously ftp download
>it from j.cc.purdue.edu or from cs.orst.edu, but you'll probably hate it.
* * * end of include * * *

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (02/28/90)

In article <126@cavanasic.nsc.com> maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) writes:
>I still have a problem.  I do not have anonymous FTP capability.
>All of the responders used FTP to get the files.
>
>I can not find an archive-server with the source in shar form. If anyone
>knows where I can get a copy in shar form please let me know.

I just discovered, thanks to the folks at Lighthouse Design, that
there is an archive-server at the Purdue archive, (archive-server@cc.
purdue.edu), and I have already managed to get the last to issues
of Buzzings via E-mail.  You should be able to do the same with
kermit, which is in the directory /pub/next/binaries as the file
kermit.Z  If you first send the "help" command you will receive
a help file, according to which you can specify  shar as the prefered
archiving method.  So there shouldn't be any problem.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET