[comp.sys.next] What is Sun doing? -- Abandoning NeWS

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (03/01/90)

Below is just one of the messages in comp.windows.news
complaining how Sun is abandoning
NeWS  -- something I would have had to settle for if it weren't
for NeXTStep and DPS.

In article <1990Feb28.161746.9301@intercon.com> of comp.windows.news,
    amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

>Sun seems to be shooting itself in the posterior with NeWS.  When NeWS 1.0
>came out, it was head and shoulders above X10R4 in speed and usefulness,
>but they didn't push it.  It was hard enough to buy even if you *did* want
>it.  It seems from the outside as though there has been an explicit decision
>within Sun to "target" NeWS solely as an academic and OEM product.  This
>is STUPID.  Not "unfocused marketwise," or other doublsespeak, just STUPID.

Looks like a chance to win over quite a number of customers from
the Sun camp. :-)
It would be nice if Sun licensed NeXTStep+DPS, ... nahh... can't happen.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu