[comp.sys.next] Latex/dvips/Draw/TopDraw question

m@jacobi.biology.yale.edu (Mark mccallum) (03/02/90)

We have a user who generates '.dvi' files from Latex.
Then he uses dvips to obtain '.ps' files.  When these
files are included in either Draw or TopDraw the
characters are white.  This leaves them invisible
in Draw. They can be seen in TopDraw by changing
the background.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any work arounds?

thanks in advance.

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (03/02/90)

In article <114.25ed8541@venus.ycc.yale.edu> m@jacobi.biology.yale.edu (Mark mccallum) writes:
>We have a user who generates '.dvi' files from Latex.
>Then he uses dvips to obtain '.ps' files.  When these
>files are included in either Draw or TopDraw the
>characters are white.  This leaves them invisible
>in Draw. They can be seen in TopDraw by changing
>the background.

I had a similar problem with Draw (don't remember if it was with
OS 0.9 or 1.0), when incorporating EPS files.  Draw's EPS
handling code apparently did (does?) not set gray to black.

Workaround for my case was to include "0 setgray" at the
beginning of EPS file (of course after all %% *** lines).
Perhaps, the same method works for PS files from dvips.

While you are at it, it might be wise to always include
	0 setgray 1 setlinewidth
and other things like dash, linecap, miterlimit etc at the
beginning of PS code, and not rely on default settings.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu