[comp.sys.next] screen 'background' command

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (03/03/90)

In <30631@brunix.UUCP>, rca@cs.brown.edu writes:
>Is there a way to make some TIFF file standard background
>without running scene each time when you log into the system?

Well, almost.  I've just FTP'd a 'csh' script called 'background' to the
submissions directory of the cs.orst.edu NeXT archive.  This script lets you
set your screen background to an *.eps (unfortunately not *.tiff) file, a gray
shade or reset it back to it's original state as an alternative to using
Scene.

The script has options to center, scale, minscale (make it fit but maintain
aspect ratio ala Scene) or tile the image file.  Typing just 'background' with
no arguments will gives the following usage summary:

  Usage background -reset
        background -gray GrayShade
        background -{file,center,scale,minscale,tile} FileName

  0.0 <= GrayShade <= 1.0
  FileName = Encapsulated PostScript file.

Options can be shortened to just their first letter, eg. 'background -g
0.666'.  The 'gray' option can also be combined with 'file', 'center' and
'minscale'.

If you want to set things up so that your screen gets set to a particular
image when you login to the NeXT, I'd suggest the following:

.login: if ( -o /dev/console ) background -tile myfile.eps

.logout: if ( -o /dev/console ) background -reset

This will make sure you're using the console and will clean up things when you
log out (locally we wrap the above with 'if { NeXT }' since our user file
space is NFS mounted from a Sun-4 so the .login, .logout, etc. files are
common to both).

This is a 'csh' script so it's not as robust nor as fast as a 'C' program but
it is probably faster and more convenient than starting up Scene.  I'd
appreciate hearing any bug reports and/or optimizations to the script.

- Christopher
-------