[comp.sys.next] Should I buy Next?

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (02/22/90)

There's been much discussion recently about IBM Kills NeXT !!, the next
NeXT etc. This leaves me with a few specific questions, which I would
like answered:

* if I want to run a specific application (e.g., Mathematica), is it worth
  considering NeXT, or is it only a serious contender if some of its more
  specialized features (e.g., DSP) are needed?
* is it worth waiting for the much-discussed next NeXT, or is there some
  commitment to offer upgrades without much financial penalty?
* has NeXT made any specific commitments to new features (e.g., color)
  and performance - and a time-frame - for this new model?

Any comments?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb21.194626.20870@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>There's been much discussion recently about IBM Kills NeXT !!, the next
>NeXT etc. This leaves me with a few specific questions, which I would
>like answered:
>

>* is it worth waiting for the much-discussed next NeXT, or is there some
>  commitment to offer upgrades without much financial penalty?

	it should be a swap of the motherboard as said by the representative
	from NeXT when they were here to make an intro.  According to them,
	the upgrade should not be expensive (withing limit of a few hundred
	bucks)

>* has NeXT made any specific commitments to new features (e.g., color)
>  and performance - and a time-frame - for this new model?

	Just read somewhere in a magazine that the next NeXT is supposed to be
	announced this month or the beginning of next month. According to the
	article, it DOES color, and running at 25MHZ 68040 CPU.  The 50 MHZ
	version of NeXT will be available no earlier than next year.

>Any comments?

	yes, hope they annouce it soon, and with a new low price

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

smithw@physc1.byu.edu (03/01/90)

  So...anybody heard a definite date :-) for when the mother board
swap to 68040 will be available?  How about a definite rumor...
an unsubstantiated rumor?--anything?

ead@ibmpcug.co.uk (E A Davison) (03/08/90)

I am considering purchase of a Next for routine business
applications plus possible use as a the basis os oops of
a real-time application. Any comments on this rash proposition
welcome. Reply via net or call me on London 370 7369
(Anserphone - any time)
Ted Davison
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not