[net.auto] Audi 5000s Turbo Quatro?

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) (08/29/85)

xx

My apologies if this has been discussed recently - I've just started
reading this newsgroup.

I'm looking to buy a "yuppie-mobile", and am considering the
Audi 5000S Quatro Turbo (the new '86 model).  Does anyone
have any knowlegable opinions on this car?

	thanks

	gordon letwin
	decvax!microsoft!gordonl
	uw-beaver!microsoft!gordonl

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (09/08/85)

In article <8779@microsoft.UUCP>, gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:

> I'm looking to buy a "yuppie-mobile", and am considering the
> Audi 5000S Quatro Turbo (the new '86 model).  Does anyone
> have any knowlegable opinions on this car?

I just recently purchased a car and the final choice was between
a Audi 5000S Turbo Quatro and one other car. I reject the Audi for
a few reasons, despite that fact thatI really liked that car.
Basically, not in order:

1. Overpriced for the combination of bells and whistles you get.
For $30000 +, delivered price. The car needs more. I wouldn't
complain that the price were as unreasable if Audi resale values
were good, but they stink. For two reasons:
	a. 100S memory. That was a terrible car in this country.
	people still remember that car's repair history when you
	say, "I'm going to buy an Audi." Despite how they have
	improved. Despite how long it's been since the 100
	vanished as a model ( in this country.) Incidently, in
	Europe, the 5000S is known as the Audi 100. Apparantly the
	cars were better there, Europeans have short memories, or
	the service was better over there. (Which will lead me to
	point #2, in a minute.)
	b. Audi's high performance models are not stable. I.e.,
	the product life cycle isn't long enough to establish
	a meaningful retail/used car price. Now while I don't
	agree with Mercedes Benz of North America's merchandising
	practices, I should would love to own a Benz when it comes
	time to sell my used car.

2. The service network in the US is awful. I have had to
deal with that network many times, as I have had one
Porsche or another, since 1972. The dealer service network
stinks. The personnel turnover is high, training is poor/mediocre.
The service managers just don't care. They're paid to run your
bills up, and hope you come back. Soon. Another Mercedes Benz
analogy. Their service is suburb. No 3-6 week waits for
appointments. Emergency service that is done graciously. Good
parts distribution. Audi is like to many other foreign car dealers
that are not really requipped to provide service. They are
equipped to keep their shop full, and all their wrenches busy.

3. Feature-wise, the car is difficient.
	a.The car is not particularly comfortable. The seats
	are neither all out sports seats, with good side bolsters,
	nor are they comfortable wide cushion seats with good side
	support. (BTW, these two goals are not mutually exclusive,
	except for Audi.) I wanted the car with cloth seats as are
	available on the 5000S Turbo -- no choice available. You'll
	like the leather sports seats, I was told. I HATE leather seats
	(personnal preference :-)) They're hot in the summer,
	cold in the winter, hard to keep clean and new looking,
	and they are slippery so that you thrash around in your seat
	while driving your car the way it was meant to be driven.
	b. The car is not strong enough. For the money there should
	be more motor. 160 horsepower is childs play, these day,
	from four cylinders. From five, it's a crime, especially
	for Audi. It was enough power in the coupe, because of the
	lighter weight.
	c. Other minor stuff, I don't remember, since it's been
	two months since I bought.

Audi is a *good* car company trying to get into the big leagues.
They have not exhibited the discipline required to get there, in
my opinion. I think that the 4000S quattro is a worthy car that is
not too overpriced. The 5000 line is too expensive for what you
get from the car and the company.

What did I buy?
Well, I fell back on old reliable. I bought a Saab 16-Valve turbo.
At 18,000 it represent the best buy on the market. I looked at
lots of stuff, including Audi, Jaguar, Maserati, Merkur, Benz, and
a few others. Saab's organization fails in many of the same ways
that Audi does, but given the previous reliability (that I
experienced) and the lower price, and the higher performance, it
was a clear choice. Besides, this lets me buy a little snowmobile,
like a fuel injected Honda CRX, so that when the Porsche goes away
for the winter, my wife & I don't fight over the Saab. Now, we'll
fight over the Honda!

--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like a man who likes to talk."

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (09/11/85)

In article <163@cdstar.UUCP> saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) writes:
>	b. Audi's high performance models are not stable. I.e.,
>	the product life cycle isn't long enough to establish
>	a meaningful retail/used car price. Now while I don't
>	agree with Mercedes Benz of North America's merchandising
>	practices, I should would love to own a Benz when it comes
>	time to sell my used car.

Wait, let's see.  What Audi high performance models have there been?
	1. Audi 100 S Coupe (not sold in the US)	 ???? - 1976
	2. Audi 5000 Turbo				~1980 - present
	3. Audi 4000S 5+5				 1980
	4. Audi Coupe					 1981 - present
	5. Audi quattro				 	 1982 - present
	6. Audi 4000 quattro				 1984 - present
	7. Audi quattro Sport (not sold in the U.S.)	 1984 - present
	8. Audi Coupe quattro (not sold in the U.S.)	 1984 - present
	9. Audi 5000 turbo quattro			 1985 - present
In addition, the Europeans have had some more model variations such as
the Audi 80 GTE (a sporty 4000 with Euro GTI engine) and various
models of the Coupe.

As you can see, only one discontinued U.S. model (the 5+5 was never
really intended to be a permanent model but a stopgap measure until
the Coupe was made available in the U.S.);  doesn't seem that
unstable to me.  The only thing I can see that you could be referring
to you is the update on the 5000, after "only" 6 years.

I will not argue the other points; I don't agree on several of them
but I feel my arguments aren't worthwhile enough to clutter usenet
with them.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982