Date:         Thu, 08 Mar 90 15:54:26 EST
From:         Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM>
Subject:      Re: NeXT Memory SIMMs
To:           Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM>
Eric Scott has replied:
>Samsung from Chip Merchant.  Now $61 per megabyte.  We just got
>40 SIMMs, they work great.  Goodbye 8 meg cubes!  When 4MB SIMMs
>come down in price, we'll pull the 1MBs and stuff them in
>Macintoshes.
>
>BTW, NeXT either has or is about to announce new lower memory
>prices if you order from them (funny that).
>
>                       -=EPS=-

Thanks for the reply. I called The Chip Merchant and they quoted
me a price of $72.00/SIMM for orders submitted by PO. (I can only
purchase these chips on PO. How did you order them Eric?) I also called
Clearpoint who manufacture chips for the Mac. They claim people are
using their chips in the NeXT without problems. Clearpoint will sell
their chips for $68.00/SIMM after applying a discount they offer
the the City University of New York. Is anyone using the Clearpoint
SIMMs?

Sal.

In article <90067.160618SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM
	(Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>Eric Scott has replied:

Ahem.  Something sent to you as private e-mail should NEVER be
republished without permission.  (1) Had I wanted this posted,
I would have posted it myself.  (2) It's not only rude, it's
also illegal (as in "copyright violation") as of a year ago.
That said...

>Thanks for the reply. I called The Chip Merchant and they quoted
>me a price of $72.00/SIMM for orders submitted by PO.

We ordered before the price dropped 10%, but the PO penalty was
only $3 per SIMM.

Note that we *did* check with NeXT before doing this, and got
their o.k.
					-=EPS=-

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (03/12/90)

In article <90067.160618SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>>BTW, NeXT either has or is about to announce new lower memory
>>prices if you order from them (funny that).

Right, BFD, Mail order is still the way to go!

>Thanks for the reply. I called The Chip Merchant and they quoted
>me a price of $72.00/SIMM for orders submitted by PO. (I can only
>purchase these chips on PO. How did you order them Eric?) I also called
>Clearpoint who manufacture chips for the Mac. They claim people are
>using their chips in the NeXT without problems. Clearpoint will sell
>their chips for $68.00/SIMM after applying a discount they offer
>the the City University of New York. Is anyone using the Clearpoint
>SIMMs?

Nice discount! We used Clearpoint 1MB AND 4MB chips and they worked
great. That's a GOOD company. They even sent us about 64MB for
evaluation...NeXT doesn't...:-)

Mail order is definitley the way to go for memory...and probably
drives too if you don't mind hacking disktabs!

--Roger Jagoda
--Cornell University
--FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU