[comp.sys.next] Extending printer cable

anders@penguin.uucp (Anders Wallgren x7652) (03/13/90)

Has anyone tried extending the length of the printer cable?  I
just tried using some old monitor extension cables, but with no
success - apparently they're not up to spec, or perhaps there is
some internal termination in the black cable that I'm not aware
of.

We'd like to move the printer away from the cube so that it's
more accessible - is there a sanctioned way to do this, or is it
a no-no?

Anders Wallgren
Verity, Inc.

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (03/13/90)

In article <11211@zodiac.ADS.COM> anders@penguin.uucp (Anders Wallgren x7652)
asks if anyone has tried extending the length of the printer cable.

We did once, but it seems that the timing is too tight to increase the
length of the cable any further.  You might try sending a note off to
bug_next asking if either NeXT or some third party has found a way
around this.

gerrit

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (03/14/90)

In article <8364@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>In article <11211@zodiac.ADS.COM> anders@penguin.uucp (Anders Wallgren x7652)
>asks if anyone has tried extending the length of the printer cable.
>
>We did once, but it seems that the timing is too tight to increase the
>length of the cable any further.  You might try sending a note off to
>bug_next asking if either NeXT or some third party has found a way
>around this.
>
>gerrit

And I quote from 1.0QA_Pairs/hardware.303:

"monitor cable length hardware

Q:  How can I extend the Megapixel display cable?

A:  The monitor cable length is limited by the sound/keyboard interface line.
 The video can go an almost unlimited distance which depends on the quality
 of the coax used.  It is also a very difficult cable to assemble because of
  all the wires and shielding.

The problem with the sound/keyboard interface is that the clock originates on
the CPU card, and is not repeated on the monitor end of the cable.  This means
 that the clock skew depends directly on the cable length which adds about
 4ns per foot of skew.  The interface has very little margin even at 3 meters.  The clock was not de-skewed and repeated at the monitor to save space in a
 very tight ASIC and also to save the extra clock line in the cable.

The cable length should be left at 3 m.

QA303 "

andrew

!!         Andrew Stone             !!          Stone Design Corp.      !!
!!      stone@hydra.unm.edu         <>      Albuquerque, New Mexico     !!