[comp.sys.next] $1000 68040-NeXT

rantapaa@cs.umn.edu (Erik E. Rantapaa) (03/11/90)

I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.  Apparently they
have got manufacturing costs low enough with their automated factory so
that they can stamp them out for a fraction of that price.  I'm not
sure what you'll get, but even a bare cube with 1M memory and OD would
be very attractive.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

--
Erik Rantapaa
  rantapaa@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (03/12/90)

(aside: did you edit that followup-to by hand, or is your news
software completely braindead?  If the latter, it *needs* fixed.  If
the former, RTFM)

In article <1990Mar11.024125.7409@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu
 (Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
>68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.

Sorry, I don't buy that one.  An *upgrade* for existing machines,
sure, but a whole new cube?  Naaah.

>Apparently they have got manufacturing costs low enough with their
>automated factory so that they can stamp them out for a fraction of
>that price.  I'm not sure what you'll get, but even a bare cube with
>1M memory and OD would be very attractive.

1 meg would be unusable, and they're not selling unusable machines
(after all, they shipped free 40 meg SCSI drives to all OD-only
purchasers, when they realized that that configuration was borderline
under 1.0).  Another point to consider is that they don't (I'm fairly
sure) manufacture the optical drives in-house, so their automated
factory can't have much effect on the cost of including one.  Just
running down the university/developer price list convinces me that
they're not going to be able to drop their price that low *and*
include a faster chip.

  Of course, if they *could* they'd actually have a chance at taking a
large market share, but they'd have to change their marketing
strategy.
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar11.024125.7409@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu (Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
>68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.  Apparently they
>have got manufacturing costs low enough with their automated factory so
>that they can stamp them out for a fraction of that price.  I'm not
>sure what you'll get, but even a bare cube with 1M memory and OD would
>be very attractive.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

>--
>Erik Rantapaa
>  rantapaa@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

Do you mean by this, the upgrade from the current Cube will cost $1000? or
you mean the production cost of each board is $1000?
I certainly won't buy a cube with only 1 M of memory.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/13/90)

>In article <1990Mar11.024125.7409@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu (Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>>I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
>>68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.  Apparently they
>>have got manufacturing costs low enough with their automated factory so
>>that they can stamp them out for a fraction of that price.  I'm not
>>sure what you'll get, but even a bare cube with 1M memory and OD would
>>be very attractive.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

A minimal '030 Next sells for $10,000 now.  Someone suggests that they're going
to sell an '040 Next for 1/10th the price.  And this gets serious discussion?
Think about it:  how much does the chip set for the '040 cost by itself?  How
much does the OD stuff cost?  How much margin does Next need?  Even a Mac SE
costs around $500-600 to manufacture.

Also: if Next has figured out how to produce an '040 machine for <$1K, then
they should be able to make and market their '030 machines for much less than
$10K.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (03/15/90)

>In article <1990Mar11.024125.7409@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu
> (Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>>I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
>>68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.
>
>Sorry, I don't buy that one.  An *upgrade* for existing machines,
>sure, but a whole new cube?  Naaah.

No, seriously, I heard they have a new mask process that lets them etch
the entire cube -- monitor, case, keyboard, OD and software -- out of a
solid block of silicon.  Total cost to them is $1.59 / cube, but they're
greedy bastards so they markup the price by $998.41.  I also hear that
they've cut a deal with Pelonis to jointly develop a 68050-based cube with
800 Megs of RAM, that doubles as a space-heater and/or toaster-oven.

Sheee, some people.  (If I incorrectly read smileys into the original
posting, my pardon.  It deserved 50-foot-tall electric Martian smileys,
though.)
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (03/15/90)

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>No, seriously, I heard they have a new mask process that lets them etch
>the entire cube -- monitor, case, keyboard, OD and software -- out of a
>solid block of silicon.  Total cost to them is $1.59 / cube, but they're
>greedy bastards so they markup the price by $998.41.

This is true.  But, the reject rate is %99.9 so they are actually taking a
loss.  They are trying to establish an installation base.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

louiex2@portia.Stanford.EDU (chris overton) (03/15/90)

>In article <1990Mar11.024125.7409@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu
> (Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>I heard from a reliable source that NeXT is planning to come out with a
>68040 version of the cube for around a thousand bucks.

I would like to officially confirm this.
In fact, the new machine is set to ship late in December, with special
distribution being provided by Santa Claus & his reindeer.
The only major obstacles seem to be disks freezing up and a labor
dispute with the elf union over heating conditions at the north pole
plant. The new machine features a rugged casing designed to protect it
when dropped through a chimney. :->

-S.C.

-------
That was cheap, but it had to be done.

rantapaa@cs.umn.edu (Erik E. Rantapaa) (03/16/90)

Okay, okay, okay, enough already!  I'm sorry I even *thought* of
posting such a obviously ridiculous rumor to the net.  I guess I
should have tried rec.humor.funny.

--
Erik Rantapaa
  rantapaa@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu