[net.followup] Rabies

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/15/85)

> In article <191@tekig5.UUCP> davidl@tekig5.UUCP (David Levadie) writes:
> >any screaming and yelling about it.  Look at rabies, for instance.  How
> >long has it been with us?  I think there's finally been a recorded
> >case of a rabies victim surviving, in the U.S., under intensive care.
>
> Uh, rabies is quite curable.  A friend of mine was once bitten by a dog that
> turned out to have rabies.  She got a LOT of shots.

	Ummm, Rabies is preventable, not curable.  The LOTS of shots were
to prevent the disease from starting during its incubation period.
	In fact, there is only one case of someone with untreated Rabies
surviving (an 8-year old boy). However, treatment to stop the disease's
progress is very well advanced (although the basic method is not much
different from Pasteur's method of 100 years ago -- I believe there was
just some anniversary of some kind for his first Rabies vaccine.)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner