[comp.sys.next] rhosts

ronniek@cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) (03/24/90)

I want to be able to rlogin, as root, to any of our
NeXT machines, without specifying a password.  On our
normal Unix machines, we just place the hostname of
the 'administation' machine in each machine's /.rhosts
file.

When I try this on the NeXT, and rlogin as root, it
says
	Login incorrect
	Connection closed.

Does anyone know why?

Ronnie Killough
ronniek@cssun.tamu.edu

mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (03/24/90)

In article <4650@helios.TAMU.EDU> ronniek@cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) writes:
>I want to be able to rlogin, as root, to any of our
>NeXT machines, without specifying a password.  On our
>normal Unix machines, we just place the hostname of
>the 'administation' machine in each machine's /.rhosts
>file.
>
>When I try this on the NeXT, and rlogin as root, it
>says
>	Login incorrect
>	Connection closed.
>
>Does anyone know why?

The 4.3 BSD init and login programs assume by default that terminals
are ``insecure'', and don't allow root to log into such a terminal for
security reasons. You have to explicitly tell init that a terminal
(e.g.  the console) is safe for root to log into.

On the cube, only the system console and the two serial ports are
secure by default.  To change this, modify /etc/ttys so lines that
look like
	ttyp0   none                            network

instead look like
	ttyp0   none                            network secure

Just a reminder, the more convenient you make it for a remote system
administrator to log into a machine, the more convenient you make it
for people to break into it.  An alternative here would be to ``su''
after logging into the machine as a normal user, and leave the pseudo-
terminals insecure.

--
Mic Kaczmarczik                                   mic@emx.utexas.edu (Internet)
Unix/VMS/Cyber Services                                     mic@utaivc (BITNET)