[comp.sys.next] Framemaker vs. TeX

gb@cs.purdue.EDU (Gerald Baumgartner) (03/23/90)

I am a very satisfied user of LaTeX (with occasionally modifying style
files or writing own styles). Now I have been told there is virtually
no feature TeX/LaTeX provides that Frame doesn't provide, and Frame is
much user-friendlier. Can anybody provide me with reasons why (not) to
switch to Framemaker.

Gerald

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (03/24/90)

In article <10113@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, gb@cs.purdue.EDU (Gerald Baumgartner) writes:

> I am a very satisfied user of LaTeX (with occasionally modifying style
> files or writing own styles). Now I have been told there is virtually
> no feature TeX/LaTeX provides that Frame doesn't provide, and Frame is
> much user-friendlier. Can anybody provide me with reasons why (not) to
> switch to Framemaker.

Perhaps because TeX/LaTeX is included with your system at no additional
cost, whilst Framemaker gives you a crippled demo version of the program,
enticing you to spend big bucks for the full version...

Eric

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/24/90)

In article <7402@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>Perhaps because TeX/LaTeX is included with your system at no additional
>cost, whilst Framemaker gives you a crippled demo version of the program,
>enticing you to spend big bucks for the full version...

Not to mention that TeX is available (for free) for just about any
machines you'll come across, can be used from ordinary text terminals,
has drivers for all kinds of printers, etc. Also, TeX files are
accepted by many journals around the world, TeX files are pure ASCII
and are therefore easily sent by mail, etc, etc.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?  A: One day at a time.

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (03/24/90)

gb@cs.purdue.EDU (Gerald Baumgartner) writes:
>Can anybody provide me with reasons why (not) to switch to Framemaker.

Money.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |