Is one better than the other?
Are they both made by the same company?

	Thanks in advance,
			Bob

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (08/30/85)

>I am constantly hearing talk of two
>radar detectors; Passport and Escort.
>Are they the best two available?

Yes.  I have done extensive driving with the Whistler Spectrum, the
B.E.L. micro-eye, the Escort, and for the last couple of weeks, my
new passport.  The Escort and Passport are simply in a class by
themselves.

>Is one better than the other?

The Passport is much smaller than the Escort, and has more features.
Paramount among these is a mute button that allows you to turn off the
audible alert for the duration of a radar encounter; after the signal
disappears, the unit rearms.  On the Escort you are more likely to
turn down the volume, then forget to turn it up again.  As for
actual performance, they are identical.

>Are they both made by the same company?

They are both made by Cincinnati Microwave.  Neither is sold in retail
stores.  The Passport is $295, the Escort $245, both shipped postpaid
with a 30 day money back guarentee from the factory.

Ben Broder
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben

Of course, the usual disclaimers apply.  The only relationship I have
with Cincinnati Microwave is as a satisfied customer.

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (09/02/85)

In article <759@homxb.UUCP> 4342bob@homxb.UUCP (R.DEMARCO) writes:

>I am constantly hearing talk of two
>radar detectors; Passport and Escort.
>Are they the best two available?
>Is one better than the other?
>Are they both made by the same company?
>

>	Thanks in advance,
>			Bob

YES!!!  According to Car and Driver, the Escort is near the tops in X band
sensitivity, and king of the hill in K band.  Although they have not formally
tested the Passport yet, they did do some spot measurments on it during their
test of hidden radar detectors, and it won hands down.  The Escort also seems
to be the least vunerable to false alarms.

I, for one, won't drive *anywhere* without my Passport.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

mikey@trsvax (09/06/85)

>The police do NOT pick up motorists who are driving reasonably, even if
>they are a little over the posted.
>
>					Rich Strebendt
>					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

BULLSHIT!!!  BULLSHIT!!!  BULLSHIT!!!
Depends where you are, you must live in a perfectly utopian community!
Sure, here in Texas I can usually do almost 10+ and not get nailed,
but there are also places and traps where it's "REVENUE" and the
slightest, and even in some case, NO VIOLATION!, will get you a ticket.
Don't give me any more BULLSHIT like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously have never visited New Jersey!

mikey at trsvax
55, it's not a good idea, it S*CKS!!

paul@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (09/10/85)

I tend to drive between 70-75 mph on the Interstate (but not w.o. my
Escort), especially in the Great Plains and Western states.  I don't
weave with the simple device of staying in the left lane until someone
wants to pass me.  At that speed I am at least four times more alert
than the average driver.  The key is never be the only one going 75,
get one, preferably two other cars in front to "draw the fire".  With
the increasing numbers of instant-on radars, even an Escort won't help
if you're out there all by yourself.  With a half-mile warning, I can
slow down w.o. distress to other drivers.  The other key is staying
alert and not passing anyone w.o. the careful once-over.  The forest
of antennas is the give-away for unmarked cars.  Any car coming up fast
from behind is a great reason to drop back discreetly to 60 until its
identity can be checked.  If it isn't a cop, let him become the bait.
Watch out for on-ramps after bridges.  Learn to look up and to the sides
for aircraft parallelling the roadway if timing lines are seen on the
pavement.  Don't overrun your detector.  80 should be absolute top speed
unless crossing South Dakota with a 3 car warning buffer.

get the ticket.  Examine before passing.  Don't speed w.o. your Escort or
Passport.  Be discreet and legal off the freeway.

         Paul Pomes

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!paul
ARPANET: paul%uiucuxc@uiuc.arpa
CSNET:	 paul%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
ICBM:	 40 07 N / 88 13 W

mikey@trsvax (09/12/85)

>                                                      The forest
> of antennas is the give-away for unmarked cars.

I defy you to find an unmarked patrol car in PA this way.  They have from
Z28's to a few Vettes to Honda Accords.  The MOST you'll see is a CB antenna
on the back.  In Bethlehem PA when I was in college, the police didn't have
radios in the vehicles, they all had individual walkie-talkies and a
widespread repeater network over the city.  I ran from 2 guys in a
greased up Nova one night on my motorcycle, was I sure surprised when
they turned out to be cops.  Their summer uniform was black pants with
that little stripe on the side and brown banlon shirts.  Everything was
on one of those Bianchi Belts and you couldn't see anything when they
were sitting in the car!

mikey at trsvax

elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) (09/13/85)

In reference to above-comments which indicate most states allow a
certain number of miles per hour over the mit free of tickets.
  IDAHO highway patrol or state sheriffs (or even local cops)
love to selectively ticket non-Idaho cars.  I have personally
seen a California car ticketed for doing 56 in a 55 zone.
Their attitude is that it raises money, the "tourist" probably
won't be able to attend court, and all done under the guise
of upholding the law.
  In the out of state 56 mph example there were cars ahead
far exceeding 60 mph with Idaho plates. Idaho cop u-turned
and pulled over Calif. car, ignoring Idaho cars.