[comp.sys.next] scientific plot program???

2fkics692bh@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/28/90)

Does anyone know of a generic unix program that generates scientific plots?
Just basic x,y and bar charts would be ok.  It needs to output Postscript
and input the data (x,y points) with some format information...

I posted to this newsgroup because needs to work on a NeXT.  Besides, you
people seem to know quite a lot about unix.
thanks

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (03/29/90)

In article <22626.260fc124@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fkics692bh@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Does anyone know of a generic unix program that generates scientific plots?
>Just basic x,y and bar charts would be ok.  It needs to output Postscript
>and input the data (x,y points) with some format information...

I have been using gnuplot 2.0 for a while now and am really enjoying
it. It doesn't do bar charts as you usually see but it does "impulses"
which are 1 pixel wide vertical bars.

Gnuplot will do different line styles for different data sets (different
dash patterns), and it also has different point styles. It will do your
basic math stuff from sines and cosines to bessel functions.

It is an interactive program and is totally text/command based but can
generate postscript files to be viewed by "Preview". (Maybe someday I'll
put a NeXT front end on it (no promises)).

I'm not exactly sure where to get a copy of it, the ones on uunet and
prep are the old version. Someone just told me that they saw it come
across one of the comp.sources.? groups. Send me mail if you are
interested and hopefully by then I will have found out where to get
the latest version.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu