[comp.sys.next] Help: Lisp and Objective-C

kegel@OMICRON.CS.FSU.EDU (Harold Kegelmann) (03/28/90)

I'm working on an expert system running in CommonLISP and would like to port it
to the NeXT. I have some knowledge of Objective-C and the NeXT, but limited
knowledge of C. However, I would like most of the interface to be written in
C to speed up response time (previous system implemented on XEROX 1186 with
incredible slow interface). My problems are:

- where can I find proper information about the links from Objective-C to
  LISP and vice-versa (the sales reps on campus couldn't answer this, nor
  do I get an answer from NeXT, nor could an instructor at a NeXT seminar
  answer this question)

- I checked the manuals, but didn't find them helpful. I know how to write
  an Objective-C application in CommonLISP using the objc: packages and
  such, but not how to communicate between plain CommonLISP and my
  Objective-C interface

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harald Kegelmann
Dept. of Computer Science
Florida State University
kegel@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu

andyk@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Klapper) (03/29/90)

In article <9003272232.AA11973@omicron.cs.fsu.edu> kegel@OMICRON.CS.FSU.EDU (Harold Kegelmann) writes:
>I'm working on an expert system running in CommonLISP and would like to port it
>to the NeXT. ...
>- where can I find proper information about the links from Objective-C to
>  LISP and vice-versa ...

Franz Lisp has an Objective-C/Lisp interface.  They might be able to help you.
I would be interested in the solution (if any) that you come up with.
(Sorry but I don't have a telephone number for them).

Andy.

cox@Franz.COM (Charles A. Cox) (03/30/90)

In article <9003272232.AA11973@omicron.cs.fsu.edu> kegel@OMICRON.CS.FSU.EDU (Harold Kegelmann) writes:

   - where can I find proper information about the links from Objective-C to
     LISP and vice-versa [...]

The interface between Objective-C and Allegro CL allows one to share
the same objects and instances between Lisp and Objective-C.  In other
words, the communication between Lisp and Objective-C is largely
transparent.  What's more, one can dynamically create new classes, and
instances as well as add new methods to classes and/or look up the
existing class methods and class instance variables on the Lisp side.

There are a couple of examples with NeXT's 1.0 distribution in
/usr/cl/examples/objc/.  These show how one can use Lisp to write
simple applications using the Lisp/Objective-C interface.

The documentation for the Objective-C/Allegro CL interface is online
and should be available in the Digital Librarian.  Franz Inc. also has
an gnuemacs interface to the online documentation which we plan to
submit to the appropriate NeXT on-line archive.  When it makes it
there, I suspect someone will post a note to the net announcing how
you can get it.

	Charley
--
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        1995 University Avenue, Suite 275