[comp.sys.next] 22 apps for the NeXT---what be thy name?

barry@mesquite.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/30/90)

In article <90088.100932UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

>Take a look at a recent issue of Personal Workstation (used to be MIPS, no?)
>magazine.  The last page each issue is an APPLICATION WATCH where they
>list and count "Number of shipping applications" for NextStep, OS/2-PM,
>Motif, and Open Look.  The April 90 issue scores them 22, 18, 3, 12
>respectively.

I did take a look---though I could only find the march issue. At that
time, NextStep had 20 (and OS/2-PM had 18). So we're gaining
apps at the rate of 2/month---pretty good.

(Also, I'm glad to see we're stomping OS/2-PM, which is gaining
apps at the current rate of 0/month. The march issue had a half page
editiorial "NeXT is on the Move", proclaiming
the impending succes of NextStep and, to a lesser extent, the cube.)

But what irks me is that the APPLICATION WATCH does not
give the names of the applications, or how to contact their
vendors. Its sort of annoying to know that there are 22 apps,
but have no clear way to find out more about them.

Does anyone have anymore info about the 22 mystery apps for the NeXT?

(I can guess that the one spreadsheet is Wingz; has anybody tried it out?)

-Barry Merriman

Discalimer: I have no use for a speadsheet---I've never even used one---but
            other members of my immediate family are threatening to
            use the cube for a door stop if I don't get one.