[comp.sys.next] Extra <CR>s in mail

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (04/07/90)

In article <460@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Whose sendmail.cf are you using?  NeXT's?  Someone else's?
>
>Am I correct in assuming that you're a uucp site?  If so,
>somewhere in your sendmail.cf is a mailer definition like
>
>Muucp,	P=/usr/bin/uux, F=msDFMhuU, S=13, R=23,
>	A=uux - -r $h!rmail ($u)
>
>My guess is that you're using a nonstandard sendmail.cf, and
>there's a  E=\r\n  that shouldn't be there.

That was my guess, too.  Or, at least I think it must have something
to do with sendmail.  I am using the NeXT sendmail.cf, i.e...

/etc/sendmail
total 31
-rw-rw-r--  1 root   1196 Apr  6 17:46 aliases
-rw-r--r--  1 root      0 Apr  6 17:53 aliases.dir
-rw-r--r--  1 root   1024 Apr  6 17:53 aliases.pag
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     20 Apr  6 17:44 sendmail.cf@ -> sendmail.mailhost.cf
-r--r--r--  2 root   9778 Apr  6 19:28 sendmail.mailhost.cf
-r--r--r--  1 root   8550 Sep  7  1989 sendmail.sharedsubsidiary.cf
-rw-r--r--  2 root      0 Apr  6 19:22 sendmail.st
-r--r--r--  1 root   8297 Sep  7  1989 sendmail.subsidiary.cf

I thought the problem was related to the following sections of the .cf
file:

####
#####		DDN Mailer specification
#####
#####	Send mail on the Defense Data Network
#####	   (such as Arpanet or Milnet)

Mddn,	P=[TCP], F=msDFMuCX, S=22, R=22, A=TCP $h, E=\r\n

[.....]

# If you want to pass all other explicit domain names up the ladder
# to our forwarder then uncomment the following line.
R$*<@$*.$+>$*		$#$M    $@$R $:$1<@$2.$3>$4	user@any.domain
# and comment out this one.
#R$*<@$+.$->$*		$#ddn $@ $2.$3 $:$1<@$2.$3>$4	user@any.domain

... but when I commented out the line with the "#ddn" and uncommented
the "#$M" one, shutdown and rebooted the machine, there was no change.
As far as I can see, the only place there is a E=\r\n in the file is
on the Mddn line, and the only place ddn is called as a mailer is in
the commented-out line.

Perhaps sendmail is reading another default sendmail.cf, and my
changes are not having an effect?  Could it have something to do with
Netinfo?

Thanks for the help.  I am going to be working on this today, perhaps
I'll find something.

---
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK
--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK

brad@advantg (04/08/90)

I've also had the same problem. Mail that I send you other unix systems
has a ^M appended at the end of every line. I am using the standard
sendmail.cf as supplied by NeXT. Is there a way to disable the addition
of ^M at the end of each line. I've been told by NeXT that the ^M is
added my the Mail application.

Also is there a way to modify sendmail.cf so that if a host is not
recognized, then the message is sent on to a smart router for further
processing?

Brad Kollmyer
brad@advantg.UUCP

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (04/08/90)

Brad Kollmyer writes:
>I've also had the same problem. Mail that I send you other unix systems
>has a ^M appended at the end of every line. I am using the standard
>sendmail.cf as supplied by NeXT. Is there a way to disable the addition
>of ^M at the end of each line. I've been told by NeXT that the ^M is
>added my the Mail application.

With some help from Eric Scott (thanks!) this problem has been solved.
The version of sendmail distributed with the NeXT evidently has a bug
which assummes if the mail is going out to a remote site, it must be
going out over the internet and so it needs \r\n at the end of lines.
It is not supposed to work like that, but you can fix it.  In
sendmail.cf you will find a line like this:

Muucp,	P=/usr/bin/uux, F=msDFMhuU, S=13, R=23,
	A=uux - -r $h!rmail ($u)

Modify it by adding an explicit E=\n to force a LF only at line end as
follows:

Muucp,	P=/usr/bin/uux, F=msDFMhuU, S=13, R=23,
	E=\n, A=uux - -r $h!rmail ($u)

>Also is there a way to modify sendmail.cf so that if a host is not
>recognized, then the message is sent on to a smart router for further
>processing?

Yes, note the following near the beginning of the sendmail.cf file:

# major relay host: use the $M mailer to send mail to other domains
# To have mail automatically forwarded to other domains, you should
# replace this with the name of your major relay host.
DR mail-relay
CR mail-relay

Change the 'mail-relay' to the name of your local forwarding site.