[comp.sys.next] ELM on the cube

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (12/02/89)

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

Is ELM available for the cube? Where to get it and how to install it?

"elm" = a much nicer than "mail" program for mailing. We have it on our SUN 4
and I luv it. Greta for remote login mail stuff.

Please be gentle with your answers, I am a mathematician and only an amateur
in the cube-unix business.

Please email answer to nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-5310.office@ans.machine
231 West Eighteenth Avenue            1-(614)-292-4975.department
Columbus, OH 43210-1174               1-(614)-292-3317.secretary
The United States of America          1-(614)-459-5615.fax

lemke@radius.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (12/06/89)

In article <1989Dec1.231256.7611@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu () writes:
}
}Is ELM available for the cube? Where to get it and how to install it?

I've tried to compile elm on the NeXT and ran into many compiler warnings.
It compiled, but it doesn't work.  I wish someone on the Elm development
team had a NeXT.

}"elm" = a much nicer than "mail" program for mailing. We have it on our SUN 4
}and I luv it. Greta for remote login mail stuff.

I run elm on my Mac II with A/UX, and really would love to use ELM here on
the NeXT as well, especially since I don't use the console but remotely
telnet into it from my Mac SE.  I really miss elm.

}Please be gentle with your answers, I am a mathematician and only an amateur
}in the cube-unix business.

I am an amateur as well and I don't have the expertise necessary to tweak
Elm to run on the NeXT - anyone else out there been successful in doing
this?  If so, please speak up!!  I _CAN_ deal with diff files, and would
love to have Elm running.

--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: radius!lemke@apple.com    (Coming soon: radius.com ...) -----

pete@othello (Pete Schmitt) (12/06/89)

In article <1220@radius.UUCP> radius!lemke@apple.com writes:
>In article <1989Dec1.231256.7611@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu () writes:
>I've tried to compile elm on the NeXT and ran into many compiler warnings.
>It compiled, but it doesn't work.  I wish someone on the Elm development
>team had a NeXT.

I have elm P14 running just fine on my NeXT running 1.0Mach. What kind of warnings?

Peter R. Schmitt - UNIX Consultant, User Services - Peter.Schmitt@dartmouth.edu
Kiewit Computation Center, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   (603)646-2085

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (12/06/89)

In article nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu () writes:
>Is ELM available for the cube? Where to get it and how to install it?

pete.schmitt@dartmouth.edu has a working copy that he uses on the NeXT
on his desk.

Someone who runs an archive should contact him to make it available to the net.

ut6y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/07/89)

Elm 2.2, PL 14 DOES work on the cube.  Patch 14 changed the Configure script,
and said script now recognizes NeXT as the BSD alike that it usually is.  After
this, just compile...don't even add -bsd to the CFLAGS -- it doesn't need
it.  Just run Configure and then make.

MSS
CIT Workstation Resources

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (12/07/89)

In article <17749@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>In article <1220@radius.UUCP> radius!lemke@apple.com writes:
>>In article <1989Dec1.231256.7611@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu () writes:
>>I've tried to compile elm on the NeXT and ran into many compiler warnings.
>>It compiled, but it doesn't work.  I wish someone on the Elm development
>>team had a NeXT.
>
>I have elm P14 running just fine on my NeXT running 1.0Mach. What kind of warnings?

I have Elm 2.2 patch 14 sources but was afraid to compile it because
it puts so many deposits into so many subdirectories. Is there a way
to keep all of them in one place? I tried to change the directory files
in the makefile but then I couldn't compile it.

Please respond in layman's trems!

Thanks a 10^6!

lemke@radius.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (12/07/89)

In article <17749@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello (Pete Schmitt) writes:
}In article <1220@radius.UUCP> radius!lemke@apple.com writes:
}>I've tried to compile elm on the NeXT and ran into many compiler warnings.
}>It compiled, but it doesn't work.  I wish someone on the Elm development
}>team had a NeXT.
}
}I have elm P14 running just fine on my NeXT running 1.0Mach.
}What kind of warnings?

OK, I was trying to compile elm 2.2 patch 9, so evidently I need to get
patches 10-14.  I'm working on that (there is an archive server for the
patches), so as soon as I get them I assume it will compile ok for me too.

--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: radius!lemke@apple.com    (Coming soon: radius.com ...) -----
----- AppleLink: Radius.QA;    GEnie: S.Lemke;    Compu$erve: 73627,570 -----

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (02/06/90)

I understand that elm 2.2 patch 14(?) runs on the cube. Did someone out
there actually compile it? Could you please email me your configure.sh
file so I could do it to? Any bugs? I tried to compile it but couldn't
answer many questions during configuration.

Thanks!!!

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-5310.office@ans.machine
231 West Eighteenth Avenue            1-(614)-292-4975.department
Columbus, OH 43210-1174               1-(614)-292-3317.secretary
The United States of America          1-(614)-459-5615.fax

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (04/11/90)

Did anyone install (successfully) ELM 2.2 PL16 on the cube?
If yes then please send me your config file so I could do it too,
plus where to get this version (ELM 2.2 PL16)? Thanks!