[comp.sys.next] Updating the Unknown Application

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (05/04/90)

In article <1879@shelby.Stanford.EDU> lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) writes:
>Taking Jiro Nakamura's subtle hint in his recent article in Buzzings #5, I'm
>updating my 'Unknown' application to allow the specification of what Unix
>utility to invoke on a file, as well as what icon to use.
>
>  What other obvious file to utility associations are there similar
>  to *.Z => uncompress (including switches)?

A few that I can think of off hand:

<file>.tar invokes tar -xvf(p?)
<file>.diff invokes patch -o and prompts for the patch file, target
and output file in a dialogue box...well, just a thought!..-)
<file>.sh and <file>.csh are recognized and fork /bin/sh and /bin/csh
respectively instead of just the generic "Program" icon.
<file>.shar invokes /bin/sh
<file>uuencoded invokes uudecode
<file> (roff format) invokes ptroff and prompts for an output file
or a printer.

That's all I can think of for now, GREAT APP!

Roger Jagoda                          -- My employers don't even like paying
Cornell University                         me, let alone accept responsibility
fqoj@cornella.cit.cornell.edu              for anything I say or do! --