[comp.sys.next] DataViz and a Mac

swv@well.sf.ca.us (Software Ventures Corporation) (05/03/90)

In article <141@cavanasic.nsc.com> maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) writes:
>In article <1322.26387516@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>> 	I'm trying to use the DataViz program that was included in some
>> of the NeXT releases.  I'm using a Mac SE/30 and a standard DB8 cable
>> from an ImageWriter II printer.
>
>DataViz supplies the proper cable when you buy it.  So, I will not help
>help you with the solution to this problem since you obviously did not
>buy it.

DataViz comes with the NeXT.  You still need to buy it for your Macintosh, but
it does come with the cube.  Since you won't help him, I will.  Basically,
DataViz uses a distorted xmodem with translation protocols thrown in.  This
means DataVis uses their own protocol.  So you need to buy it for your Mac.

>If you have plugged the Imagewriter II cable into the B port you may have
>damaged your board!

Excuse me?  Your going to have to justify this because I have been using port B
for almost a year now and never had a problem.  Everyone I have talked to has
always agreed with me that an Imagewriter II cable is the cable to use for
null-modem cables on BOTH port A and B.

Michael Rutman
Software Ventures
#include <std.discl>

dadler@blake.acs.washington.edu (David Adler) (05/04/90)

I've been transferring files Mac to NeXT successfully
using imagewriter cable into B port and Kermit software (available
from a number of ftp sites out there
Packet size of about 1021 and at 19.2 kbps (works out to about kbyte/sec).
This all works pretty nicely and doesn't cost anything if you have the cable.
Also I've found that Kermit is extremely reliable and found on most/many
systems - I assume DataViz has the GUI but Kermit can handle the job.

--
David A. Adler		University of Washington
Pathology  SM-30	Seattle, WA 98195

RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering) (05/05/90)

Thank you both for helping me out.

The problem was that I didn't know you had to have DATAViz running on both

systems.  Now I understand, you two were helpful without screaming down my

throat that I was some kind of software pirate.

I'll try the kermit idea, sounds like it should work.

Again, thanks a lot.

                            -Rob Pickering