[comp.sys.next] Printing NeXT UNIX documentation

judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) (05/04/90)

Could anyone tell me the best way to print the NeXT UNIX documentation on
the laserprinter? I'm not a UNIX expert so I'll need the details about how to
deal with ptroff and the like., etc.

I'd like to be able to spiral bind the result, so the printout should
have a wide left margin. Also, is there some natural
order to the documentation, or will it just be a pile of man pages?

I'd be grateful if you would e-mail the answer to me.l
Thanks in advance,

Peter Judge		(judge@credit.erin.utoronto.ca)

judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	(Peter Judge)

lih@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew "Fuz" Lih) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May4.154227.11719@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) writes:
>Could anyone tell me the best way to print the NeXT UNIX documentation on
>the laserprinter? I'm not a UNIX expert so I'll need the details about how to
>deal with ptroff and the like., etc.
>
>I'd like to be able to spiral bind the result, so the printout should
>have a wide left margin. Also, is there some natural
>order to the documentation, or will it just be a pile of man pages?

>judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge)

     The best way to do it is to find out where the unformatted troff file
     is and use that with ptroff.  Let's say I wanted to print the man page
     for 'find' to the printer called 'netnp':

      $ ptroff -man -Pnetnp /usr/man/man1/file.1

     This uses the -man macro package and prints to the specified NeXT
     laser printer.

     Hope this helps!

""""""""""     /                                                            \
|  @  @  |     | Andrew "Fuz" Lih       Columbia University Center           |
<    >   > ___/   Academic Computing     for Computing Activities            |
 \ \__/ / <___                                                               /
  \____/      \    lih@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET         /
               \    lih@cs.columbia.edu     ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih |
                \__________________________________________________________/

""""""""""     /                                                            \

cliff@mneme.psych.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) (05/06/90)

To quote lih@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew "Fuz" Lih) in article <1990May5.190057.22970@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>:
>In article <1990May4.154227.11719@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) writes:
>>Could anyone tell me the best way to print the NeXT UNIX documentation on
>>the laserprinter? I'm not a UNIX expert so I'll need the details about how to
>>deal with ptroff and the like., etc.
>
>     The best way to do it is to find out where the unformatted troff file
>     is and use that with ptroff.  Let's say I wanted to print the man page
>     for 'find' to the printer called 'netnp':
>
>      $ ptroff -man -Pnetnp /usr/man/man1/file.1

Or, just use the -t option in man.

	$ man -t netnp

This should send the man page, all ptroffed and everything, to the
standard printer.

Cliff Chaput
Mneme Project, NU Psych. Dept.
cliff@mneme.psych.nwu.edu