[net.auto] mileage and performance with hi-octane gasoline

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (09/15/85)

From: sutter (Bob Sutterfield)

High-octane gasoline contains more energy per gallon than low-octane gas,
right?  I mean, it accelerates better, hesitates less, and knocks very
little on Super Unleaded as compared to driving on Regular Unleaded.  So a
gallon of it should drive my car further (more mpg) than would low-octane
gas, right?  How much further?  Enough further to offset the price
difference?  What factors work into the equation?  Do I need to be able to
change the mixture setting, compression, spark advance, or whatever, to make
a difference?  Will the higher temperatures hurt my engine at all?
--
Human:	   Bob Sutterfield
	   Facilities Management Division

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (09/16/85)

> High-octane gasoline contains more energy per gallon than low-octane gas,
> right?  I mean, it accelerates better, hesitates less, and knocks very
> little on Super Unleaded as compared to driving on Regular Unleaded.  So a
> gallon of it should drive my car further (more mpg) than would low-octane
> gas, right?  How much further?  Enough further to offset the price
> difference?  What factors work into the equation?  Do I need to be able to
> change the mixture setting, compression, spark advance, or whatever, to make
> a difference?  Will the higher temperatures hurt my engine at all?

High octane gasoline does NOT have more energy per gallon than regular--
it only has more anti-knocking additives per gallon.  If your car does not
knock on regular, high octane should not improve your gas mileage.
(If your car knocks significantly on regular, it is not burning the
gas efficiently, so high octane will improve mileage.)

Several years ago, I thought as you do and tried an experiment with a new
car (Plymoth Barracuda, 318 engine, 3 speed stick).  For the first 4 or
5 thousand miles, I used regular, then switched to premium for another few
thousand miles, then back to regular.  I found no real increase in gas mileage
with high octane.

gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) (09/17/85)

> High-octane gasoline contains more energy per gallon than low-octane gas,
> right?  I mean, it accelerates better, hesitates less, and knocks very
> little on Super Unleaded as compared to driving on Regular Unleaded.  So a
> gallon of it should drive my car further (more mpg) than would low-octane
> gas, right?  How much further?  Enough further to offset the price
> difference?  What factors work into the equation?  Do I need to be able to
> change the mixture setting, compression, spark advance, or whatever, to make
> a difference?  Will the higher temperatures hurt my engine at all?
> --
> Human:	   Bob Sutterfield
> 	   Facilities Management Division

High octane gasoline will have no effect on an engine that
runs correctly with lower octane gas.  Every new-car owner's manual
I have ever read makes this perfectly clear.

If you are prepared to make engine mods, you can indeed get better
performance from higher octane gas.  The amount of power produced
by your engine is roughly proportional to the compression ratio.
If you switch from regular to premium, you may be able to use a
compression ratio of, say, 10.5:1 instead of 9.0:1.  This will give
you more energy for the same amount of gas.

Of less signigicance are some other changes that one may make.  With
higher octane gas, it is possible to run an engine slightly leaner
without pinging, and it is sometimes possible to advance the ignition
timing, which may improve performance.

Buy the cheapest gas you can, so long as your engine does not knock.
I don't think that any of the above mods, particularly timing and
mixture, could possibly recoup the difference in cost.
--
Gordon V. Cormack      CS Department, University of Waterloo
   gvcormack@watdaisy.uucp     gvcormack%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet

res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (09/17/85)

> From: sutter (Bob Sutterfield)
>
> High-octane gasoline contains more energy per gallon than low-octane gas,
> right?

Wrong.  The difference is in the ability of the gas to undergo
compression without igniting.

> I mean, it accelerates better, hesitates less, and knocks very
> little on Super Unleaded as compared to driving on Regular Unleaded.  So a
> gallon of it should drive my car further (more mpg) than would low-octane
> gas, right?

Wrong.  There should be very little, if any, difference in MPG.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) (09/17/85)

> High-octane gasoline contains more energy per gallon than low-octane gas,
> right?
> should drive my car further (more mpg) than would low-octane
> gas, right?  How much further?  Enough further to offset the price
As I remember it, high octane gas only burns more slowly and is less likely
to detonate from high temperature and pressure.  It contains no extra energy,
dispite the gas company ads.

It's useful in high compression engines where the lower octane would ignite
from the increase in pressure instead of waiting for the spark -> knocking.
Also at times in modern engines which run hotter to decrease pollution.

While high compression engines have better performance, it's the engine.
Using higher octane gas gains you nothing.