[comp.sys.next] misuse of English

cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) (05/04/90)

In article <7948@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
(David E. Smyth) writes:

>I spent the afternoon pouring over the NeXT at a demo-day they had here.
                       ^^^^^^^

And in article <8290@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> velasco@beowulf.UUCP (Gabriel Velasco)
writes following a quote from another person:
>Here!  Here!
  ^^^^^^^^^^^

For the benefit of readers in other countries, let me explain that
these are not correct usages of English.  The writers have made
the common error of writing the wrong one of a pair of words that
sound alike.  The word for "scrutinize" is pore, not pour (one pours
beer into a glass), while to make a public display of agreement one
shouts "Hear! Hear!" (asking others to pay attention), not "Here! Here!"
(although you might shout the latter if you wanted the waiter to come to
your table and pour beer in your glass).

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (05/05/90)

cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) writes:
|david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:
|
|>I spent the afternoon pouring over the NeXT at a demo-day they had here.
|                       ^^^^^^^
|For the benefit of readers in other countries, let me explain that
|these are not correct usages of English.  The writers have made
|the common error of writing the wrong one of a pair of words that
|sound alike.  The word for "scrutinize" is pore, not pour (one pours
|beer into a glass), ...

Well, I figured it went without saying that I was pouring beer into a
glass over a Next during the demonstration...

David Smyth                david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,  seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.         (818)354-6344
JPL, M/S 301-260, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
------------- P.J.O'Rourke Quote of the Day: -------------
Never transmit a sexual disease in public.
When you are pouring over a NeXT, don't miss the glass.

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (05/06/90)

In article <4144@infmx.UUCP> cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) writes:
>And in article <8290@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> velasco@beowulf.UUCP (Gabriel Velasco)
>writes following a quote from another person:
>>Here!  Here!
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>while to make a public display of agreement one
>shouts "Hear! Hear!" (asking others to pay attention), not "Here! Here!"

Thanks for correcting me.  I had never written that before.  I was wondering
which was correct, but I couldn't look it up at the time.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

In article <7982@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>
	david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:
>Well, I figured it went without saying that I was pouring beer into a
>glass over a Next during the demonstration...

No doubt a "dribble glass"
					-=EPS=-
--
The computer has been drinking, not me.

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.CO.JP (Alton Harkcom) (05/10/90)

 =}cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) writes:
 =}|david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:
 =}|
 =}|>I spent the afternoon pouring over the NeXT at a demo-day they had here.
 =}|                       ^^^^^^^
 =}|For the benefit of readers in other countries, let me explain that
 =}|these are not correct usages of English.  The writers have made
 =}|the common error of writing the wrong one of a pair of words that
 =}|sound alike.  The word for "scrutinize" is pore, not pour (one pours
 =}|beer into a glass), ...

Maybe David is using a UK dictionary that is 'on the blink'...

I missed the original, but based on the quote, it should be, "this is not the
correct usage in English" and "The writer has made"???

 =}When you are pouring over a NeXT, don't miss the glass.

Pour me one, ppppppplllleeeeeaaaaasssseeeee..........

--
--harkcom@potato	I speak only for myself...