[comp.sys.next] 68040 NeXT upgrade

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May25.160836.27590@dept.csci.unt.edu> doug@dept.csci.unt.edu (Douglas Scott) writes:
>... I assume
>that changes in ports (i.e., twisted pair Ethernet) will be part of the
>upgrade board.  Personally I can live without color, but what about the
>supposedly faster O.D., etc., etc.?  I guess that's what happens in the
>technological fast-lane.
>--
>Douglas Scott
>doug@dept.csci.unt.edu

Yes, the OD will be faster, but twisted-pair ethernet in not foregone,
despite its great advantages: nearly all offices are already wired with
twisted-pair for phones, with a spare pair (unless you have two lines, or
a Princess phone with a lighted dial :-)), and if new wiring is necessary
it is cheaper and less delicate to install (e.g., there are lots of people
who can install phone wires who know nothing about coax minimum bend radia).

UC Berkeley is building a new Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
building ($30,000,000???) and I was told thinwire coax would cost $1,000,000
more than twisted pair.  (Somebody correct these figures if they're wrong.)

Here at Texas A&M University we just built a (more modest) new Computer
Science building, and we ran 8 twisted pairs into every office, classroom,
and conference room: 3 phone, 3 data, and 2 spares.  The lines go to
wiring closets on each floor, where they can be patched to terminal servers
(9600 baud serial) or to ethernet boxes.  Things with ASCII ports or
twisted-pair ethernet interfaces just plug and play, and old Suns etc. get
twisted-pair-to-15-wire-ethernet transceivers, but NeXTs have to have
special coax pulled.  (Some of those combinations are due to our peculiar
economics, e.g., the University pays for coax-pulling but the Computer Science
Department would have to pay for twisted-pair-to-thinwire transceivers.)

If a NeXT had a twisted-pair interface as well as thinwire coax it could go
anywhere without having to schedule a qualified installer to pull coax
through the ceiling.  So the bottom line is, petition your NeXT contacts to
put a twisted-pair interface AND thinwire coax on the 68040, and we'll all
be riding the wave of the future (at least until there's fiber optic into
every office :-)).

Walter Daugherity
Texas A&M University
daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Internet)