[comp.sys.next] Buzzing Graphic Bombs PS Printer

paul@cgh (Paul Homchick) (05/28/90)

It is possible for the NeXT to generate postscript that other
postscript devices cannot deal with.

I recently asked the mail server at purdue for issue 6 of the BuzzNUG
newsletter (now the NeXT Users' Journal).  Since I have a copy of
FrameMaker, I got the .frame version.  I have a NeXT computer, but do
not have one of their printers.  When I tried to print the document on
my QMS PS-800II printer, I couldn't get beyond page 27.  A little
experimentation showed that I couldn't print page 27, and a bit more
investigation showed that I couldn't print the "by AAAndrew Stone"
graphic that is on that page.

When I installed the Adobe ehandler.ps file in the printer to get some
debugging info, I found that this graphic overflows the stack.  I then
took the postscript output over to another system, where I found the
same problem when trying to print it on a NEC LC-890 printer.

Clearly, since Preview and other incarnations of the Window Server are
able to deal with this, the problem is in the other devices, and not
the NeXT.  However, if you need a NeXT to print out NeXT-generated
files, you are missing out on some of the portability that postscript
promises.

Has anyone else duplicated this problem, and does anyone have any
suggestions for dealing with it?

Thanks!

---
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK

backlund@sics.se (Bj|rn Backlund) (05/29/90)

paul@cgh (Paul Homchick) writes:

>It is possible for the NeXT to generate postscript that other
>postscript devices cannot deal with.

>I recently asked the mail server at purdue for issue 6 of the BuzzNUG
>newsletter (now the NeXT Users' Journal).  Since I have a copy of
>FrameMaker, I got the .frame version.  I have a NeXT computer, but do
>not have one of their printers.  When I tried to print the document on
>my QMS PS-800II printer, I couldn't get beyond page 27.  A little
>experimentation showed that I couldn't print page 27, and a bit more
>investigation showed that I couldn't print the "by AAAndrew Stone"
>graphic that is on that page.

>When I installed the Adobe ehandler.ps file in the printer to get some
>debugging info, I found that this graphic overflows the stack.  I then
>took the postscript output over to another system, where I found the
>same problem when trying to print it on a NEC LC-890 printer.

>Clearly, since Preview and other incarnations of the Window Server are
>able to deal with this, the problem is in the other devices, and not
>the NeXT.  However, if you need a NeXT to print out NeXT-generated
>files, you are missing out on some of the portability that postscript
>promises.

>Has anyone else duplicated this problem, and does anyone have any
>suggestions for dealing with it?

>Thanks!

>---
>Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
>Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
>259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
>Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK

We've noticed the same problem. We took the Buzzings no. 6 (the .ps version)
from one of the archives but we can only print the first 27 pages. We have
only tried Apple Laserwriters. Erica, could you make a new version of
the issue in question without the graphics that bombs the printers ?

---BjornB

Swedish Institute of Computer Science      backlund@sics.se
Box 1263
64 28 Kista, Sweden

Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM> (05/29/90)

In article <1296@cgh.UUCP>, paul@cgh (Paul Homchick) says:

>I recently asked the mail server at purdue for issue 6 of the BuzzNUG
>newsletter (now the NeXT Users' Journal).  Since I have a copy of
>FrameMaker, I got the .frame version.  I have a NeXT computer, but do
>not have one of their printers.  When I tried to print the document on
>my QMS PS-800II printer, I couldn't get beyond page 27.  A little
>experimentation showed that I couldn't print page 27, and a bit more
>investigation showed that I couldn't print the "by AAAndrew Stone"
>graphic that is on that page.

I FTPed the .ps.Z version of issue 6 and had the same problems;
the printer choked on page 27 with a stack overflow. I was
using a QMS PS/810 turbo but I was planning to try out the .ps
file on a LaserWriter tomorrow morning. The .ps versions of issues
1 through 5 all printed fine, issue 6 is the first to give me any
troubles on this printer. Maybe Erica can re-check the
graphics on her end and submit another .ps file to the archive?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/29/90)

Yes, good thing about NeXT postdcript printer is that it uses the CPU board
memory.  So the stack size is limited by the main memory size minus something
on NeXT, while on Apple LasserWriter the stack size limit is around 1.2 Meg
on the standard 2 Meg ram Apple Laserwriter NTX II.   The above estimation
may not be really correct.  But I experienced the same problem with
Apple Laserwriter NTX II and no problem with NeXT printer with my graphics.

Besides, $2000 NeXT printer is at least 5 -- 10 times faster than
Apple Laserwriter which costs at least two times.

	Hugh

russell@acf4.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (05/29/90)

However, your $2000 printer REQUIRES a $5000 "controller".  I'd say it is
little bit more expensive!

BETTYJ@MAINE.BITNET (Betty Johnson) (05/30/90)

I had the same problem with the .frame version of both issues 5 AND 6.  I had
hoped that maybe the problem was a graphic imported by reference that somehow
didn't make it into the archive. If I try to look at the offending pages, then
Frame locks up and must be stopped and restarted.  Any hints, fixes, etc. would
be appreciated.  I really do like the newsletter and would like to continue to
read it, but somehow the effort involved in trying to print it is beginning to
outweigh its benefits.

BTW - this is with a NeXT printer...

Betty Johnson                **
Academic Consultant          **   Always keep in mind that
Computing Center             **   a nano-century is approximately
University of Maine          **   PI seconds.
Orono, ME 04469              **

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (05/30/90)

In article <1296@cgh.UUCP>, paul@cgh (Paul Homchick) writes:
> Has anyone else duplicated this problem, and does anyone have any
> suggestions for dealing with it?

I printed Buzzings #6 while I was back at UVa last week.  They have
a near prehistoric LaserWriter spooling from a 3b2 with not much spool
space.  I printed the .frame files 10 pages at a time using the
print panel, and everything worked fine.

I miss being able to read Buzzings on line.  Having to bring framemaker
up and the columnar format have pretty much ruined that feature of what
is a most interesting experiment in electronic submission and redistribution.
The idea that every NeXT author can format in WriteNow and every NeXT reader
can read in WriteNow will provide some much needed grease to the wheels
of publication.

Will the proposed programmer's journal be formatted?  Or do real programmers
still use ascii terminals.  (I'm at home now on an old 6mhz AT talking at
2400 with my black bitmapped wonder at the office)

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (05/30/90)

In article <90149.134227BETTYJ@MAINE.BITNET> BETTYJ@MAINE.BITNET (Betty Johnson) writes:
>I had the same problem with the .frame version of both issues 5 AND 6.  I had
>hoped that maybe the problem was a graphic imported by reference that somehow
>didn't make it into the archive. If I try to look at the offending pages, then
>Frame locks up and must be stopped and restarted.

Yes, exactly the same thing happened to me with issue #5.  It was the
graphics in the "NeXT and Communications in the IBM World" by Daniel A.
Powers (pp. 19 and 20) that caused the problem.  Framemaker locked up
and had to be restarted, just as you describe.  I didn't even try the
Framemaker version of issue #6, for fear of the same prooblem, but went
with the Postscript file instead.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET