[comp.sys.next] NeXT on Campus Conspiracy

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (05/26/90)

Am I being paranoid or does anyone else find it suspicious that 10 of the 11
screen images in the new 'NeXT on Campus' publication, despite supposedly
displaying work from universities all around the country, have the same dock
including a Preferences window with the exact same time in it?

Who's hiding what, and why?

Maybe my paranoia stems from the fact that the campus profile of Stanford
University left out our NeXT cluster in the Knowledge Systems Laboratory :-(

- Christopher
-------

jonas@Neon.Stanford.EDU (jonas karlsson) (05/26/90)

In article <1976@shelby.Stanford.EDU> Christopher Lane <lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> writes:
>Am I being paranoid or does anyone else find it suspicious that 10 of the 11
>screen images in the new 'NeXT on Campus' publication, despite supposedly
>displaying work from universities all around the country, have the same dock
>including a Preferences window with the exact same time in it?
>
>Who's hiding what, and why?

They took screenshots of the apps, edited them to look nice, and then pasted
the picture into another screenshot containing the dock. Seeing as they
"touched up" my app slightly (a window that should be labeled "untitled"
shows up as having the title "Robots") i wonder how much editing they did
on the other ones. Probably it was just the "quality" of my program
that necessitated the editing to make it presentable..
(Not to mention the slight exaggarations in the text..)

>Maybe my paranoia stems from the fact that the campus profile of Stanford
>University left out our NeXT cluster in the Knowledge Systems Laboratory :-(

bad research on their part (or did they speak to you and then not include it?)
complain to your local campus consultant :)

How many people think the cover is really lame?  You'd think they could get
some pictures on there.

-j

davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (05/26/90)

In article <1976@shelby.Stanford.EDU> Christopher Lane <lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> writes:
>Am I being paranoid or does anyone else find it suspicious that 10 of the 11
>screen images in the new 'NeXT on Campus' publication, despite supposedly
>displaying work from universities all around the country, have the same dock
>including a Preferences window with the exact same time in it?
>
>Who's hiding what, and why?
>
>Maybe my paranoia stems from the fact that the campus profile of Stanford
>University left out our NeXT cluster in the Knowledge Systems Laboratory :-(

I think you're being paranoid.

My guess is that all the apps were assembled on one NeXT so that they
could have their screen shots taken at the same time.  (If you look
carefully, you'll see that the relevent apps on the Dock have been
launched.)  There are some time/date/dock differences since some shots
probably had to be redone.

The descriptions of the Stanford project are pretty much correct, to
my knowledge (I currently maintain the Searcher code for the NeXT, and
I've had occasion to speak to the SLAC and CCARMA folks).

Since you're at Stanford, why don't you contact Jeff Wishnie directly
(bokonon@portia.stanford.edu) and ask him?

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu
davef@penultimate.stanford.edu (NeXT mail can go here)
415-723-5385

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (05/26/90)

In article <1976@shelby.Stanford.EDU> lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) writes:
>Am I being paranoid or does anyone else find it suspicious that 10 of the 11
>screen images in the new 'NeXT on Campus' publication, despite supposedly
>displaying work from universities all around the country, have the same dock
>including a Preferences window with the exact same time in it?
>
>Who's hiding what, and why?

In fact noone is hiding anything.
If you ever looked at what a scene snapshot looks like, than you will
see that you end up having a nice little camera in the corner where
you usually have a NeXT cube etc.

So my guess is that NeXT just edited all the images sent in by pasting
the same tiff bitmap over the dock, such that NeXT is NeXT and not a
camera etc.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

bokonon@amy1.stanford.edu (jeffrey wishnie) (05/29/90)

My name is Jeff Wishnie. I am working with the NeXT on Campus Staff, and in my
spare time I am a student at Stanford University. I'd like to respond to a few
postings concerning the NeXT on Campus newsletter.

A previous posting included a subscription card, that card left out two
important pieces of information:

	First: Would you like to receive the current issue of NeXT on Campus?
	Second: Where did you first hear about NeXT on Campus (e.g. Usenet)?

The following is the complete subscription information card:
this card to:  NeXT on Campus, NeXT, Inc., 900 Chesapeake Drive,
Redwood City, CA 94063.

Name:
Title:
Institution Name:
Department:
Address:
City, State, Zip and Phone:

Do you currently use a NeXT computer? (yes or no)
Are you: [you can indicate more than one]
      Faculty/Staff/Student/Developer/Reseller/Support Center/Service Center

Would you like to receive the current issue of NeXT on Campus?
Where did you first hear about NeXT on Campus (e.g. Usenet) ?
What types of articles would you like to see in the fall issue?

 Your suggestions and subscription information can also be sent to us
 electronically at next_on_campus@next.com

The same letter asked if NeXT would make the newsletter available on the net.
Yes. The newsletter should be available at the cs.orst.edu ftp site in a day
or so. Since the newsletter with all the graphics is very large, two versions,
one with images, and one without will be placed at the site.

Here are some comments from Chris Lane's May 25th posting:

>Am I being paranoid or does anyone else find it suspicious that 10 of the 11
>screen images in the new 'NeXT on Campus' publication, despite supposedly
>displaying work from universities all around the country, have the same dock
>including a Preferences window with the exact same time in it?

All the projects were written at the schools listed. The projects
were sent to NeXT and screen-shots were taken when the newsletter was layed-
out. I assume that the person who made the screen-shots with the same docks
chose to grab the dock only once and superimposed it on all the screens.

>Who's hiding what, and why?

Have no fear, I'm sure the dock was chosen for purely aesthetic reasons.

>Maybe my paranoia stems from the fact that the campus profile of Stanford
>University left out our NeXT cluster in the Knowledge Systems Laboratory :-(

Hm. Could be. But again fear not a anti-KSL conspiracy. There are many many
interesting projects at Stanford and room for only 4 projects in the Profile.
The purpose of the Profiles section is not to describe every project at a
school, but to provide information about a few (as in three or four) projects
and to give people a sense of some of what is happening at a campus. But,
and this is a big but --> NeXT on Campus thinks all your projects are
valuable, exciting, and interesting. We want to write about them all. <--

In particular, in the Fall issue of NeXT on Campus, we would like to provide
an Academic Project Update -- a listing of all academic projects being done
on a NeXT. So, if you are working on something, and you're working on a NeXT
and would like to be listed in NeXT on Campus, send the information
found on the subscription card along with a summary of your project to:

next_on_campus@next.com

If anyone has any questions or suggestions about the newsletter, you can
address them to the same address.

Jeff Wishnie             | Generic disclaimer:                    |
NeXT Campus Consultant   | "I'm the only one responsible for      |
bokonon@portia.stanford  |  what I say. No one else is to blame." |

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (05/30/90)

Contrary to most responses (to the net and to me), my 'NeXT on Campus
Conspiracy' posting was not to be taken quite so seriously.  I'm neither upset
that the screen images had the same dock, nor that the KSL wasn't included in
the Stanford profile--honestly. :-)

My real feeling about fake docks is, why go to the trouble when by stripping
the dock all together you can make the rest of the screen image larger and
more readable on the page?

In <1990May25.235826.17488@portia.Stanford.EDU>, davef@jessica.stanford.edu
writes:
>(If you look carefully, you'll see that the relevent apps on the Dock
>have been launched.)  There are some time/date/dock differences since
>some shots probably had to be redone.

Sorry, I'm not buying this one--I can't see that the relevant apps on the dock
have been launched (they've all been launched) and all the docks but one have
11:59 pm on them!

In <1990May29.074012.9487@portia.Stanford.EDU>, bokonon@amy1.stanford.edu
writes:
>Here are some comments from Chris Lane's May 25th posting:

I just hate it when people misspell my name, I can just smell another
conspiracy in the wind.... ;-)

- Christopher
-------