[net.auto] Wanted: VW gasoline heater

wrk@milo.UUCP (Bill King) (09/02/85)

Several years ago I saw a gasoline heater that mounted in the
trunk of VW beatles. There was a vent in the firewall of the car
where the heat came out. The fuel supply was from the gasoline tank.

I'm interested in purchasing one of these or something like it.
Does anyone have any suggestions (just regarding the heater please)
or sources. I'll be willing to pay $$ and cover shipping if
someone has one.

				Bill King
				...!decvax!cwruecmp!milo!wrk

zrm@prism.UUCP (09/04/85)

Gasoline fired heaters in VWs are quite rare and found only on very old
beetles. The thought of an intentional open gasoline flame in a car scares
the gaskets out of me anyway!

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (09/07/85)

In article <1300016@prism.UUCP> zrm@prism.UUCP writes:
>Gasoline fired heaters in VWs are quite rare and found only on very old
>beetles. The thought of an intentional open gasoline flame in a car scares
>the gaskets out of me anyway!

My '61 Corvair had the (optional) auxilliary heater, which was also a'gas
burner.  It worked great -- 30 seconds from below 0 to warm (gaskets and all)
in Phila. -- so that is a second possible source.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
*UNTIL THE MOVE*
 USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089
 AT&T:   (408)745-1440
*AFTER THE MOVE*
 USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054
 AT&T:   (408)727-1234

 Down 56 1/2 pounds, and counting ...

wct@mordor.UUCP (Bill Thompson) (09/09/85)

In article <1300016@prism.UUCP> zrm@prism.UUCP writes:

>Gasoline fired heaters in VWs are quite rare and found only on very old
>beetles. The thought of an intentional open gasoline flame in a car scares
>the gaskets out of me anyway!

Actually, open flame doesn't quite describe it very well,  they run very much
enclosed within a heat exchanger.  They are very difficult to find (most I've
seen have been in old VW campers--from the '60's).  The '71 and '72 type 4's had
a gas heater, but unfortunately, built into the chassis so it is unlikely
to do you any good.  They do work very well and if mounted properly and maintained
so that the heat exhanger doesn't rust through or the fuel line rot off
should be reasonably safe.

I wouldn't place very good odds on finding one--perhaps a classified ad in
a VW magazine would be the best bet.

--
	William C. Thompson III (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
        U.S. Mail: LLNL,  P.O. Box 5503, L-278, Livermore, Ca., 94550

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (09/14/85)

From an ad in VW&PORSCHE Magazine:

	Instant Auto Heater Co., Inc.
	PO Box 307
	Woodside, NY   11377

has electric heater systems for VWs (mostly for the kit car crowd)
priced from $129 for a 360 watter to $159 for a 960 watt unit.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Holmdel
					(201) 834-3759
					<ariel!>titania!jlw

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (09/18/85)

In article <637@milo.UUCP> wrk@milo.UUCP (Bill King) writes:

>Several years ago I saw a gasoline heater that mounted in the
>trunk of VW beatles. There was a vent in the firewall of the car
>where the heat came out. The fuel supply was from the gasoline tank.

I tried mailing this, but no go...

In Canada, the gas heaters (der Eberspacher) were standard equipment in
most Beetles until 1970.  From 1971 through 1974 they were found
almost solely in Super Beetles.  The heater is amazingly quick; it
starts blowing hot air in less than 30 sec provided the plg is in good
shape.

It seems to have been rarer in the U.S. (ie the tropical zone).  I'm
willing to dig one up from a junkyard and ship it if you will pay the
costs.  Send me mail if you are interested...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982