[comp.sys.next] Remote Window Manager?

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (05/26/90)

Setting my NeXT to "Public Window Server" allows me to rlogin to another
NeXT on which I have an account and launch applications using -NXHost.  But
how can I launch a Window Manager (and get a full screen with my dock etc. but
running on the remote)?  In other words, can I "seamlessly integrate" (as the
felicitous phrase has it) two NeXTs so I see on my screen EXACTLY what I
would see if I were sitting at the remote's screen?

I looked for a file associated with the Window Manager (upper right icon,
launched on login) without success, but found the others (e.g., WriteNow is
in /NextApps/WriteNow.app/WriteNow).

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter Daugherity
Texas A&M University
daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Internet)
uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher (uucp)
DAUGHER@TAMVENUS (BITNET)

P.S.  What does the "Public" in "Public Window Server" mean?

In article <5451@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu
	(Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>Setting my NeXT to "Public Window Server" allows me to rlogin to another
>NeXT on which I have an account and launch applications using -NXHost.  But
>how can I launch a Window Manager (and get a full screen with my dock etc. but
>running on the remote)?  In other words, can I "seamlessly integrate" (as the
>felicitous phrase has it) two NeXTs so I see on my screen EXACTLY what I
>would see if I were sitting at the remote's screen?

Yes, but.

The current software release only allows a single Workspace
Manager per cube.  This means that if you run Workspace remotely,
someone who tries to log in to the machine whose Workspace you
"stole" will be unable to log in (except as a conventional UNIX
session) and may be very upset with you!

That said,
0) Ensure that you've selected Public Window Server
1) Pull your original dock all the way down
2) Start /usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace -NXHost your-machine on the
   remote

* Most programs that play sounds will not do so remotely

>P.S.  What does the "Public" in "Public Window Server" mean?

"Public" means that any process on any machine can connect to
your window server using a Mach port or TCP connection.
Otherwise it's restricted to processes with the appropriate
"server key" (such as the npd) or descendants of Workspace.

					-=EPS=-