[comp.sys.next] Invisible text in WriteNow, ... bombing.

adams@jif.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey P. Adams) (05/31/90)

During a recent WriteNow late-night essay-writing stint, I had 40
pages of document and I wanted to shrink it down a little.  I selected
the whole paper and changed the line height field in the ruler, just
like normal.  To my horror, My entire document "disappeared."

It was apparently still there: I could "select" text that I couldn't
see.  Little rectangles of gray appeared in the window, but there
was no text to be seen.  Even the between-page black strips weren't
there.

After I tried fruitlessly to select this and that, WriteNow suddenly
closed its windows and terminated.  When I tried reopening them, it
gave me the "File Busy" panel.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

By the way (I know you're all dying to know), I got the paper back
fine, and was evenually able to make the change line height change.

Jeff Adams
adams@ucscl.ucsc.edu

dstaas@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ((That's two a's)) (06/01/90)

adams@jif.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey P. Adams) politely asks:

>... changed the line height field in the ruler, just
>like normal.  To my horror, My entire document "disappeared."
>
>Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

As a matter of fact, just yesterday I was finishing up a 40+ page document
when this happened -- everything went blank, then 30 seconds later, WriteNow
died.  Unfortunately, I forgot to look for console messages.  I, like you,
was changing the line height when this happened.

Frequent saves of the document reduce losses, since a copy of the busy
document may be opened.  (Luckily I save very frequently & lost little.)
Perhaps this bug report got lost with the one entitled "No Underlining
Supported." :-)

--
DaveStaas:dstaas@polyslo.calpoly.edu:OfficialObjectiveCProgrammer'sSignature

grd@cm-next-9.Stanford.EDU (glen diener) (06/01/90)

In article <2665cd47.3a7a@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dstaas@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ((That's two a's)) writes:

>adams@jif.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey P. Adams) politely asks:
>>
>>... changed the line height field in the ruler, just
>>like normal.  To my horror, My entire document "disappeared."
>>
>>Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
>
>As a matter of fact, just yesterday I was finishing up a 40+ page document
>when this happened -- everything went blank, then 30 seconds later, WriteNow
>died.  Unfortunately, I forgot to look for console messages.  I, like you,
>was changing the line height when this happened.

I've had WriteNow just up and vanish on me in the middle of typing.
This has happened several times, including once as I was about half-way
through doing a three-hour exam :-(. Thank god for an understanding
prof.  I've noticed that often the side of my left hand accidently depresses
the left Alternate key, converting subsequent keystrokes into alt sequences.
I've hypothesized that there is some undocumented alt-key sequence which causes
WriteNow to quit without further ado.  Whatever the reason, WriteNow is number
1 on my ``Top 10 Things I Like Least on the NeXT machine''. I believe it is
the main reason people perceive the machine as slow.  What a pity so
much of the documentation is in WriteNow.

-glen diener
grd@cm-next-9.stanford.edu