[comp.sys.next] Sheet Music Editor

rodmur@csuchico.edu (Dale Andrew Harris) (05/09/90)

Halloo,

I have recently discovered Scores (yes, I'm fairly new at using the NeXT) my
first thought was WOW, after listening to that piece by Bach.  Then I thought
"gee, it would be neat to put in some of my own music and listen to it",
anyways I started reading the man pages relavent to the topic and discovered
what a major pain it would be to write a piece.  With all the faculties the
NeXT has for sound and music I can't believe it doesn't have a Sheet Music
Editor, in which I can enter a real score which the computer would interpret
and then play.  There is just no substitute to actually seeing the music.
Does anyone know of one that exists. Danke schon.

Dale H.

rodmur@cscihp.csuchico.edu
dharris@next.csuchico.edu
{both Internet}

doug@dept.csci.unt.edu (Douglas Scott) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May08.233140.9693@csuchico.edu> rodmur@csuchico.edu (Dale Andrew Harris) writes:

[portion deleted]

>what a major pain it would be to write a piece.  With all the faculties the
>NeXT has for sound and music I can't believe it doesn't have a Sheet Music
>Editor, in which I can enter a real score which the computer would interpret
>and then play.  There is just no substitute to actually seeing the music.
>Does anyone know of one that exists. Danke schon.

There is at least one major music notation program being ported to the NeXT by
its designers (Finale for example).  Though these products are primarily for
music printing, they also have the capability of producing MIDI data files
which can be used to control external MIDI equipment--but which can be
converted (via some nifty homemade programs) into a score format readable by
NeXT synthesis software.  Now, there is still a tremendous amount of
interpretation involved here, in terms of how a given musical passage is
converted into sound, but it is a start.  None of this matters until the third
party products are released.  At that time, I guarentee I will post regarding
this process.
Douglas Scott
doug@dept.csci.unt.edu

I was seriously considering writing one of these a few months ago.
What stopped me?  Not having the Sonata font, that's what stopped
me.  I don't think it's in Adobe's $500-for-the-fonts-people-who-
bought-Apple-LaserWriters-for-their-Macintoshes-already-have-for-
free disk, and there's no way I'm going to get our University-
with-a-budget-freeze to shell out for the so-called Developer's
Disk.  NeXT really should bundle Sonata.

					-=EPS=-
--
Can you find what NeXT DID bundle in the way of support for
displaying music notation?  Hint:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-1.2
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator 88(TM) 1.6
%%For: (Jeff Yaksick) (NeXT)
%%Title: (Symbol )
%%CreationDate: (10/3/88) (5:44 PM)
%%BoundingBox:-2 0 75 174
%%EndComments

jstewart@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jack Stewart) (05/31/90)

In article <15282@s.ms.uky.edu> libacct@ms.uky.edu (John Coppinger) writes:

>I think there's a gold mine to be claimed by the person or people who can
>come up with a system that can scan sheet music and convert the bitmap
>... (stuff deleted)
>...  This also solves the problem of wear
>destroying sheet music.  Forget loaning it out, just reproduce the
>original sheet music on a laser printer for a couple cents per page.
>Even starving artists can afford that.

	I wish it was that simple.  Unfortunately, Music companies (and
copyright law) is very protective about making unauthorized copies of any
work.  I remember one choral work that I performed in where the sheet music
was out of print.  We still had to get permission from the publisher to
make copies and had to pay a small fee for the copies (in addition to the
copying cost).  I believe this particular publisher was overzealous.  I have
recieved copies of sheet music from other publishers for free.  However this
publisher was within their rights.  I don't remember exactly when a copyright
is no longer valid but I believe when something is out of print for 25 years
then it falls into the public domain.  There really isn't much music that
falls into that category, but I agreed that the music that does, should be
preserved.
	Just because a piece of music may have been written a few hundred
years ago doesn't mean that a particular publication is public domain.
Usually someones edits the music.  There may be 4 or 5 different versions of
the piece by the composer.  From this (and sometimes with his own
"corrections" and interpretations) the editor prepares a score.  Hence there
are often several copyrighted versions (from different publishers) of the
same piece (I told you it was complicated).  So, I'm afraid that your idea,
as nice as it is, won't work.  However it might work to convince some music
publisher to issue a complilation of some of there works on CD-ROM - especially
if the publisher uses a computer to prepare their sheet music (like Finale by
Coda).

>The real added benefit is
>the ability to select a piece in the library and be able to hear it
>played IN THE LIBRARY.  The library could be placed online and be

	No.  It isn't that simple.  Sheet Music gives a "skelton" picture of
the music.  Some composers, like Brahms, give the muscian a fair amount of
information while others like John Cage (or a gregorian chant) leave a lot up
to the individual muscian.  But whoever is the composer, there is still a
lot of intrepretation that is left up to the performer.  No two performances
are every exactly alike.  A muscian is strives to make each performance
better than the last.  And different muscians often have quite different
intrepretations of the same music.  The same piece of music can either be
sad or joyful depending on who is performing it.  So you could have the NeXT
play a piano (or other instrument(s)) version of a particular piece, but why?
I don't think a student would learn that much and I don't believe it would be
very enjoyable compared to a live performance.
	This is what I mean when I say that "Is the NeXT a Musical
Instrument?".  I know the NeXT has a great DSP chip.  But in a sense the
NeXT is no more than a Tape recorder.  A fantastic Tape recorder I'll admit.
Yet when you program a piece of music into the NeXT, it will always play the
same tune.  I think you can write programs that will make the NeXT an
instrument by having the NeXT interact with a midi-keyboard or the mouse or
the keyboard or all three.  But when you are playing a score or midi file
on the NeXT is isn't doing anything more than being a Tape recorder.  Now
don't get me wrong.  I like the NeXT.  I wish I had the money to buy one.
In fact, I keep hoping that Ed McMann will show up at my front door just so
that I can buy one.  And a tape recorder like the NeXT can be tremendously
helpful.  I am a singer and I can use it to warm up and reherse (until I
learn the notes).  But there is a big difference between a program that plays
a file and one that interacts with a muscian.
	I agree that a program that could take a scanned image and covert it
to some electronic representation (like the file structure used by Finale)
would be useful but I don't think it would be a goldmine.

---Jack

Jack Stewart        		Jack@HMCVAX 		  (Bitnet)
User Support Coordinator,       jack@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Internet)
Harvey Mudd College,            jack@134.173.4.32         (also Internet)
Claremont, Ca. 91711            714-621-8006
--

In article <1990May21.153705.25726@dept.csci.unt.edu> doug@dept.csci.unt.edu (Douglas Scott) writes:
>In article <15282@s.ms.uky.edu> libacct@ms.uky.edu (John Coppinger) writes:
>>I think there's a gold mine to be claimed by the person or people who can
>>come up with a system that can scan sheet music and convert the bitmap
>>into a flawlessly reproduced music representation file, such as a ScoreFile.

Glad to see I'm not the only one in the world thinking about this. I
don't particularly care if I can get a flawless score out of it, but it
would be a lot more convenient for getting large amounts of music into
electronic format, for, say, MIDI playback.
>[much stuff deleted]
>
>>     Building the library doesn't seem trivial, though.  The variety
>>of musical notations would make it a computer vision expert's
>>nightmare, or dream, depending on his attitude, I guess.  Maybe, with
>>the help of massively parallel systems like Danny Hillis' Connection
>>Machine, the problem would become a simple one.
>
>Think how long it took to develop the technology to just read in typed
>characters!  The trouble I see with just "reading in" musical notation is
>the degree of complexity in even a straightforward, standard score.  What
>about slurs that run across two pages, for example?  Anyway, I am sure that
>at some point anything will be possible, but I  shudder to think of the first
>20 versions of the software...given how many mistakes a professional music
>copiest (who supposedly understands the context) makes, what will the program
>be like?  Well, at least it wont be ME doing the R & D.

Just because it'll take maybe 20 or more revisions to get it "perfect"
doesn't mean it's not worth doing, eh? (I mean heck, look at Emacs! Er,
on second thought...  }-) Recognizing typed characters seems to be a
pretty reasonably solved problem now. At the very least, you should
be able to recognize printed musical scores. And even if the first pass
isn't perfect, if you mate this with a decent scoring/editing system, it'll
be a lot faster to use than for a poor human to enter an entire score by
hand. The music industry seems to be doing a good business selling prerecorded
tunes on 3.5" floppy disks. Maybe it won't be a gold mine, but I think
there'd be a pretty substantial market for music scanning software... And
again, it's no good if all you can do is scan it - you need to be able to
manipulate the score once it's in memory. I'd like something along the lines
of Audio-Light's Music Studio program, or C-Lab's Notator. Something that
lets you assign parts to MIDI instruments/channels, etc. It's pretty tedious
using these programs to enter music by hand... This sort of thing would
be a godsend for electronic musicians...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  ... the glass is always greener on the side ...