[net.followup] Islam

heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) (07/20/85)

In the heat of the discussion of the Lebanon hostage crisis, several
accusations were directed to Islam as a whole.  Being a muslem, I would like
to respond to one of these accusations.  Maybe my response will help those who
want to better understand Muslems and Islam.

Mr. Joaquim Martillo (martillo@mit-athena.UUCP) charges that:

> Muslims as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
> obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.

Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
who forgive.

The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched; but they
should pay a tax (called "Jiziah" in arabic) which is almost equivalent to the
tax paid by muslems ("Zakah").  The two standard principles in Islamic Law
("shari'a") that define the relation with non-muslems are:

1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
   "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
   wa alayhom ma alayna")

Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
governing financial transactions.

The prophet Muhammad said:

* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
  with non-muslems as a social contract)
* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].

Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the world, which is also
associated with a major civilization.  Also, observe that political groups
who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
under its teachings.

The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

				Abdelsalam Heddaya
				Arpa:	  heddaya@harvard.arpa
				Internet: heddaya@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
				UUCP:	  {seismo,ihnp4,...}!harvard!heddaya

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/22/85)

I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization. I would
rather say it destroyed it when the Turks demolished the Byzantine
Empire and burned Greece from east to west. They even blew up
part of Parthenon. Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
of all Christianity (at that time). Just a few weeks ago the Turks
demolished an ancient Greek church (a precious piece of art) in
Istanbul despite the protests of the Greek government and numerous
other international organizations. Of course I have nothing against
Islam but I was just wondering about their contributions ......

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (07/24/85)

In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
>Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
>religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
>Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
>self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
>who forgive.
>
>				Abdelsalam Heddaya
>				Arpa:	  heddaya@harvard.arpa
>				Internet: heddaya@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
>				UUCP:	  {seismo,ihnp4,...}!harvard!heddaya

It is with great interest that I read this article.  Mr. Heddaya shows
a fair amount of valor in his eagerness to act as apologist for
Islam.  I have no doubt that Mr. Heddaya is both devout and truly a
paradigm of tolerance, though in believing so I must also admire
his philosophic dexterity.  No doubt there are numerous other
Moslems who also find it possible to pass by an unguarded building
brimming with infidels without a longing thought of explosions and
billowing flame and who do not spend the occasional night with warm
and liquid dreams of bludgeoning young American servicemen into paste
or stretching the neck of a passing B`hai.

Still, I find it difficult to believe Mr. Heddaya`s claims of tolerance
as the standard for the Moslem world.  First, the claim that allowances
are made for infidels in Islamic law is true, but the remaining law
that ALL must live by is still intrusive and all-encompassing enough
to make an Hassidic Jew a slacker; this is a law that punishes petty
theft with mutilation/amputation and adultery with death.  Even in
"moderate" Saudi Arabia, the punishment for drinking alcohol is enough
to make my hands shake as they reach for the Jack Daniels.

HOWEVER, there are those who say I am cynical.  There are those who
say (quite incorrectly) that I, in turn, am not the paradigm
of objectivity.  So, let me defer to a true believer, the one, the
only, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini himself - no piker when it comes
to Islamic law, let me tell you.  The following is from a speech
given December 12, 1984, the birthday of Mohammed, and is taken from
the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.

To wit:

	"If one allows an infidel to continue in his role as
   corrupter of the earth, his moral suffering will be all the worse.
   If one kills the infidel, and thus stops him from perpetrating his
   misdeeds, his death will be a blessing to him.  For if he remains
   alive, he will become more and more corrupt.  This is a surgical
   procedure commanded by God the all-powerful.
	Those who imagine that our time on earth is a divine gift, those
   who believe that eating and sleeping like animals are gifts from God,
   say that Islam should not inflict punishments.  But those who follow
   the teachings of the Koran know that Islam must apply the lex talionis
   and thus that they must kill.  Those who have knowledge of the suffering
   in life to come realize that cutting off th hand of someone for a
   crime he has committed is of benefit to him.  In the Beyond he will
   thank those who, on earth, executed the will of God.
	War is a blessing for the world and for all nations.  It is God
   who incites men to fight and to kill.  The Koran says: "Fight until
   all corruption and all rebellion have ceased."  The wars the Prophet
   led against the infidels were a blessing for all humanity.  Imagine
   that we will soon win the war [against Iraq].  That will not be enough
   for corruption and resistance to Islam will still exist. The Koran says
   "War, war until victory."  A religion without war is an incomplete
   religion.  If His Holiness Jesus - blessings upon him - had been
   given more time, he would have acted as Moses did, and wielded the sword.
   Those who believe that Jesus did not have "a head for such things," that
   he was not interested in war, see in him nothing more than a simple
   preacher, and not a prophet.  A prophet is all-powerful.  Through
   war he purifies the earth.  The mullahs with corrupt hearts who say that
   it is contrary to the teachings of the Koran are unworthy of Islam.
   Thanks to God, our young people are now, to the limits of their
   means, putting Gods commandments into action.  They know that to kill
   unbelievers is one of man`s greatest missions."

I suppose that tolerance, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beheader.
Er... beholder.

Bill Oliver

The opinions expressed above are my own and should not be considered
the opinions of any Agency, Office, or empoyee of the State of North
Carolina.

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (07/25/85)

Bill Oliver's posting of the Ayatollah's speech shows another example,
of the many throughout history, of a person or group that feels that
he/she/they know what G-d wants and it is their job to carry out His
will.  (Aside: Do they think that G-d can't carry out His own will?).
It reminds me of an old Yiddish saying:  When man thinks, G-d laughs.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                    "I may be drunk, but you're ugly.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (07/26/85)

> In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
> >Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
> >religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
> >Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
> >self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
> >who forgive.
> >				Abdelsalam Heddaya
>
> Still, I find it difficult to believe Mr. Heddaya`s claims of tolerance
> as the standard for the Moslem world.
> The following is from a speech
> given December 12, 1984, the birthday of Mohammed, and is taken from
> the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.

	. . . speech by Kohomeni, he talks of dying and killing to
	make the world right . . .

> Bill Oliver

	Citing Kohomeni to make arguments about Islam in general
is analogous to quoting Falwell to make arguments about Christianity
in general.  Many religions have had to alter their fundemental
beliefs to exist in the world as has been since the early times
when the religions started.

	The Shi'i and the Suni'i are quite different.  The idea
of an Inman, a leader who is divinely inspired and incapable
of error is a Shi'ite belief.   I am sure that even among
the Shi'ites it is not completely agreed that Kohomeni is an Inman.

	The rift within Islam is so great that it brought down the centuries
old Islamic empire in the 1500's.

	Western culture owes a vast debt to the Islamic empire.
All of the ancient Greek works, including the New Testment,
were saved by Moslems.   The Christians burned the
library at Alexandria.  The Islamic cultures
preserved the philosophy and geometry of the ancient Greeks
and reintroduced it to Europe.  "Algebra" comes from an
Arabic word, and our system of numbers comes from Arabic.

	The beliefs of the Islamic people may seem strange
or even violent to us.  However, we all exist in this world
together.  Islamic people have a heritage of a great culture
that is older than the cultures in Europe and the United
States.

	Often people in the United States cite examples to show
how barbaric, backward, evil, or whatever that Moslems are.
How do you think this makes a Moslem feel?   No wonder so many
Moslems in the Mideast hate the United States.  When our
ansestors were burning each other at the stake, the Moslems
were enriching the world with important advances in litrature,
medicine, art, mathematics, and science. Yet people in the
United States have the audacity to call THEM barbarians.

	European powers eventually took over all of the Arabian
states.  They colonized them, as it were.  Basically, that means
that European powers simply took whatever resources they wanted
from their colonies.   In Arabia it was oil, and for many years
Western powers simply took the oil and charged themselves
any price they wanted.  Sure they had to pay part to the countries,
but they pumped out the oil and sold it to themselves, so they
could charge any price they wanted.  It was a messy business
when the Arab states demanded determination over their own
resources.

	In short, the Islamic people have been ripped off, insulted,
and generally abused in the worst way by the West and they have
every reason to be angry.

	It is reasonable to make an attempt to understand other
people in the world.   I found "The Majesty that was Islam"
a good introduction to the  "golden age" of Islam.

	It is not reasonable to expect a people with as long a
history as the Islamic people to suddenly shift their world
view so that it agrees with the average American world view.
If you do not like the customs in Arabia, don't go there.
If you want to abide by the customs of the country you
visit and to learn to respect the people and the customs,
then any place is open to you.

	It's true, Dorthy, it's not Kansas, but you might discover
that it is OZ.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/26/85)

> 1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
>    "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
> 2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
>    wa alayhom ma alayna")
>
> Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
> marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
> have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
> governing financial transactions.

In practice it doesn't quite work that way. Recently a Japanese couple were
stoned to death in one of the Arab countries because they didn't happen to be
legally married, and the woman was pregnant. They were techs of some sort.
At least they waited till the baby was born before executing the woman.

Could someone confirm this? I don't have the article at hand.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/26/85)

In article <264@harvard.ARPA> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
>The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
>sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
>are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
>their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched;
>..
>..
>
>Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
>marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
>have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
>governing financial transactions.

An important point, is that in Western society much of what we
hold in religion we also hold in the criminal law, so that polygamy,
Marijuana, etcetera that we hold illegal can be part of religious beliefs
elsewhere.
An example would be to offer communion in an Islaam state would have to
be done with grape juice, or after special provision with wine.
Education is another thing held under law and often also
claimed by religion especially the more fundamentalist religions whatever
their stripe.  Even amng the open Muslim states there exists some
variance in what can or cannot be done.
>The prophet Muhammad said:
>
>* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
>  with non-muslems as a social contract)
>* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
>  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].
>
>Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
>book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
>their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
>Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
>christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
>he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

I have to agree with the intent, the openess of the Prophet's
contract jars with western society. The education Act in Ontario was
amended a few years back from an instruction for teachers to
promote Christian to Judeo Christian Morality. For
my friends that were Hindu or Shinto or Muslim, they seemed
to have been forgotten....

>Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the world, which is also
>associated with a major civilization.  Also, observe that political groups
>who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
>under its teachings.

One must look at the people who wrap their actions in the cloth of the Prophet,
What is happening to the B'ahai In Iran stands foremost in my mind.  They may
not represent the spirit of Muslim, but they represent by sheer numbers
the impact of what has become revilutionary fundamentalist muslim in this
world....

>The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
>developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
>civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

The Muslim world had some of the worlds first and most progressive
University, and then the mullahs came in and the advance of knowledge slowed.
I think the rationale for one of the burnings of the Library of
Alexandria was that if it (the knowledge conatained in the Library)
was correct it was in the Koran, and that if it was not in the Koran then
it was wrong, so there was no need  for the library....
--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (07/27/85)

Bill Oliver writes:
>So, let me defer to a true believer, the one, the only, Ayatollah Ruhollah
>Khomeini himself - no piker when it comes to Islamic law, let me tell you.
>The following is from a speech given December 12, 1984, the birthday of
>Mohammed, and is taken from the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.
   >Thanks to God, our young people are now, to the limits of their
   >means, putting Gods commandments into action.  They know that to kill
   >unbelievers is one of man`s greatest missions."

I write:
The *word* as delivered by the various sects of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity
(and lots of others too numerous to mention here) is often idealistic. Problem
is, that same word is interpreted by homo sapiens, any particular one seeing
or distorting things within the context of their own particular dialectic,
culture, passions, or mental aberrations.

No matter the lunatic extremist--Khomeini, Meyer Kahane (sp?), Jim Jones,
James Lincoln Rockwell, or Stalin--there will always be horror committed and
insanity spread. And these same people will always draw other loons to them.

The *word* matters little--what is done with the word is the crux of it.

Just a thought.

-- Jeff Shore, ..!ihnp4!druri!jhs

"You can't call ME crazy!! I'll kill ya!!!"

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (07/27/85)

>> In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:

(paraphrased for length)
   Hey, we`re not such bad guys.  We tolerate you.

>> >				Abdelsalam Heddaya

>> I reply,
(paraphrased again)

  Oh yeah?  That`s not what I hear from the Western Front.
   Quote from Khomeini....

>> Bill Oliver

Now on to Don Steiny.....

>	Citing Kohomeni to make arguments about Islam in general
>is analogous to quoting Falwell to make arguments about Christianity
>in general....
>
>	The Shi'i and the Suni'i are quite different.  The idea
>of an Inman, a leader who is divinely inspired and incapable
>of error is a Shi'ite belief.

Well, perhaps, if you want to make a very bad analogy.   Khomeini
and Falwell are similar in that they are both so-called fundamentalists.
Falwell on one hand, however, is at best a spokesman for a minority
of Protestant fundamentalists in the US.  Khomeini is a leader with
authority similar to that of the Pope, exerted in countries
where his voice is law. There are 35 million people in Iran alone, 98%
of which are big fans of his(1).  This is not the leader of some
rag tag fugitive fleet running from the invading Zionists. We`re
talking bunches of folks. If one is driven to discussing Oriental
religion in terms of the West, then I suggest that the analogy with
Catholicism/Protestantism is better.  Then, in fact, one can make
statements about Christianity as a whole, with the caveat that
no statements are universal.

Sure, Shiites get their jollies from blowing away lots of people, which
everyone on the net agrees is a no-no.  The Sunni mostly just like to blow
up Israelis, which seems, on the net, to be OK.

>	Western culture owes a vast debt to the Islamic empire.

 (paraphrase)
   Moslems did a bunch of neat stuff a few centuries back.
   Better than the West.

Sure.  Does this make them tolerant?  Things have changed since
the 13th century, Mr. Steiny.  Islam gets high grades when compared to
early medieval West.  Mosts folk`s concepts of civilized behavior
have changed since then;  fundamental Islam generally hasn`t.

(paraphrase)e
     The West did a bunch of nasty things to the Arabs, and
     everything`s all our fault.

>	In short, the Islamic people have been ripped off, insulted,
>and generally abused in the worst way by the West and they have
>every reason to be angry.

Without addressing your accusations against the West, let me
remind you that my article was in response to Mr. Heddeya`s assertions
of Islamic tolerance.  If you are saying that Islam is justified
in it`s intolerance, that is a different question altogether.

I somehow get the impression that the general drift of your
article was that Islam really is tolerant; I just chose a
straw man by choosing a spokesman from the second biggest
Islamic sect rather than the first.

WELL.  Let`s look at it a little more closely, then.  As Mr.
Heddeya stated, even in the most liberal Islamic state, the penal
code is still derived from religious thought.  That means that
the best one can do in terms of separation of church and state
is more than the legendary Mr. Falwell thinks of in his most
expansive moments.

 To quote the Islamic Council of Europe:
        Islam conceives of God`s purpose of creation as the realization
   of His will, the highest part of which is the moral...  That is
   why Islam soes not countenance any separation of religion and
   state.  The state is society`s political arm which, like society
   itself, is meant to bring about the realization of the absolute
   in history.  Between the state proper, society with its other
   organs and institutions, and man as person, there is only a division
   of labor, a distinction as to function.  All are subject to the same
   purpose and goal.  The transitiveness of man`s actions demands a
   public law to regulate it.  It cannot be satisfied with a
   verdict of conscience.  That is why Islam had to develop the
   sharia, a public law governing the personal as well as the societal
   fields of actions...(2).

   Even when explicitly acting as apologist for Muslim views on
human rights, Brohi(3) finds himself saying:

   As an Islamic State is an ideological State, some reservation
   will have to be made against non-Muslims in matters which demand complete
   identification with the ideology of the State....

and then ends with:
   Europe has opted for the `permissive society` and has landed in chaos.
   Islam on the other hand has asked us to become members of a disciplined
   society; by disciplining ourselves we rule ourselves from within.
   The State enfroces the law of God against those who are out to disrupt
   social order and pose threats to human security.

Or observe the Universal Islamic Declaration (4):

IV Framework for an Islamic Order
1) State Policy

a) The sharia is the supreme law of the Muslim community and must be
   enforced in its entirety in all aspects of life.  Each and every
   Muslim country must explicitly make Sharia the criterion by which
   to judge public and private conduct of all, rulers and ruled alike,
   and the chief source of all legislation in the country.

c) It is the obligation and right of every person to participate
   in the political process, and political authority is to be
   entrusted to those who are worthy of it ACCORDING TO THE ISLAMIC
   CRITERION OF KNOWLEDGE, TRUSTWORTHINESS, AND CAPABILITY.
   (emphasis mine)

f) ALL persons in authority are bound by the rules of the Sharia
   both in regard to their personal as well as public conduct.
   (empahsis mine)

Admittedly, the Sharia is unequally applied to non-Muslims, depending
upon which country one happens to be in.  However,
in a fundamentalist state it is almost
always partially applied, especially in the Hadd punishments, those
directly decreed by God. For example, the Koran demands punishment
of fornication with 100 lashes, adultery with death, drinking of
intoxicating beverages with 40 lashes, and theft with amputation(5).
Furthermore, as with all legislatures, the
laws are made to extend around the
immediate `liberties` given to the minority.  What good is
liberty to eat pork if the sale of pork is forbidden?

So, this great tolerance I am hearing about is a tolerance of a
country where I would be taxed differently because of my religion,
I would be held unequal under the law because of my religion, I
would be barred from high political office because of my religion,
and, OK,  somewhat less than half the people want to kill me as a
religious duty.

>	Often people in the United States cite examples to show
>how barbaric, backward, evil, or whatever that Moslems are.
>How do you think this makes a Moslem feel?   No wonder so many
>Moslems in the Mideast hate the United States.

I would hope that this theoretical Moslem would go back and
work to see that I no longer have so many examples to cite.
I don`t hate anybody.  I once seriously considered converting to
Islam, and I am basically sympathetic with much of Islamic
theology.  I just don`t see this as tolerance.

>	It's true, Dorthy, it's not Kansas, but you might discover
>that it is OZ.

I am not Dorothy, Mr. Steiny, and, though it may be a shock, this is
not Oz.

Bill Oliver

standard disclaimer

1) Ghulam Sarwar. Islam: Beliefs and Teachings. The Muslim Educational
   Trust, pubs. 1982. p 204.

2) Isma`il Al Faruqi, Islam as Culture and Civilization. in Islam and
   Contemporary Society.  published by Longman in association with the
   Islamic Council of Europe, London and New York. pp 140-176.

3) Allahbukhsh K Brohi, Human Rights and Duties in Islam.  in
   Islam and Contemporary Society. pp 231-252.

4) Salem Azzam, Secretary General, Islamic Council. in Islam and
   Contemporary Society. pp 253-266.

5) Herbert J. Liebesny. The Law of the Near and Middle East.
   State University of New York Press, Albany, 1975. p228-229.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (07/28/85)

> I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization. I would
> rather say it destroyed it when the Turks demolished the Byzantine
> Empire and burned Greece from east to west. They even blew up
> part of Parthenon. Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
> Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
> of all Christianity (at that time). Just a few weeks ago the Turks
> demolished an ancient Greek church (a precious piece of art) in
> Istanbul despite the protests of the Greek government and numerous
> other international organizations. Of course I have nothing against
> Islam but I was just wondering about their contributions ......

	I never said that they contributed to Greek Civilization,
the time frame is all wrong.  After all Mohammad live in about
1000 A.D. and Socrates drank in the hemlock in 454 B.C.  Since
the Islamic civilization was 1500 years after the golden age
of Greece, it does not make sense to think of how Islam could
have contributed to the ancient Greek civilization.

	The Islamic people took the books of the Greeks and kept them.
The Christians in Europe burned them books.   After the worst part
of the "dark ages" the books were reintroduced to Europe.   During
the dark ages, the Islamic civilization invented Algebra and so
on . . .

--

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (07/29/85)

> I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization.

Partly by preserving literature destroyed in the West by Christians.

> Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
> Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
> of all Christianity (at that time).

Just for the record "St. Sophia" goes along with "Thomas a Beckett" as
an example of a non-name.  To the best of my knowledge (some historian
correct me), the church was named Hagia Sofia ("Holy Wisdom").  (And
Sophias on the net may rest assured their lovers are philosophers :-)

Islam, like Christianity, has long preached the highest standards of
human behavior.  Would that the adherents of all religions spent more
time adhering to their highest teachings rather than murdering and
enslaving those who disagreed with them.  Would that pigs had wings,
too.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

mandy@datacube.UUCP (07/29/85)

		First, I'd like to thank Don Steiny for defending Moslems
		since I am one without any violent or barbaric attitudes.
		I'd also like to add that being from Iran, I know that a lot
		of people in Iran and outside of it do not generally agree
		with Khomeini's ideologies, which are fairly violent.  Islam
		like any other faith, can be interpreted a million different
		ways; Khomeini just chose to use the most extreme way it could
		be used.  If anyone wants to get upset about something, it
		should be about all the innocent teenage kids that have been
		sent to war blindly, "in search of a path to heaven by being
		a martyr".

		Mandy Salsali
		Datacube Inc.
		4 Dearborn Road
		Peabody, Mass.  01960

tp@ndm20 (07/31/85)

Aplause for a truly well written and well substantiated posting!
No comments implied regarding the opinions expressed, but it is
nice to see this level of support for the opinions expressed in
a posting. Congratulations, Mr. Oliver.

Thanks,
Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/31/85)

> Just for the record "St. Sophia" goes along with "Thomas a Beckett" as
> an example of a non-name.  To the best of my knowledge (some historian
> correct me), the church was named Hagia Sofia ("Holy Wisdom").  (And
> Sophias on the net may rest assured their lovers are philosophers :-)
>
> D Gary Grady

Sophies too!
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/01/85)

--
>Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

I am sorry. I absolutely agree with you. All Islamic people
contributed a lot to civilization, and no one disagrees with this.
What I meant in my previous responce was that only the Turks
have never created or contributed anything but only distroyed
(and they continue to do that) whatever they find in their pass.
They definitely contributed and still contribute barbarians to humanity.

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/02/85)

I am sorry again for my previous responce. Once again I left emotions
drive my feelings without thinking enough...I think the characterizations
used in my latest responce are .... stupid especially after considering
the fact that two good friends of mine are Turks. I did not mean to blame
any Turk and I retract everything I said. All I meant to do is to blame the
Turkish government for (indeed) barbaric acts.
No hard feelings (...I hope).

mike@rlvd.UUCP (Mike Woods) (08/09/85)

In article <526@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>	The Islamic people took the books of the Greeks and kept them.
>The Christians in Europe burned them books.   After the worst part
>of the "dark ages" the books were reintroduced to Europe.   During
>the dark ages, the Islamic civilization invented Algebra and so
>on . . .

According to my understanding of history (which is perhaps a little shaky),
Greek, Roman, and just about all other literature was lost because of the
fall of the Roman empire and a subsequent lack of anyone to prevserve the
books. The Christians (or to be precise, the monks) saved what they could
but as it took a looong time to copy a book their efforts were devoted to
Christian literature (mainly the Bible).

In all, it was a lack of a civilised world that destroyed Greek literature,
not overt action by the Christians.

Mike.

Yes, I am a Christian. No I am not biased, just objective.

system@mcgill-vision.UUCP (System Manager) (08/09/85)

Since we just started to get the net news, I do not know how this discussion
originated, but I find the following comment quite offensive:

>  What I meant in my previous responce was that only the Turks
>  have never created or contributed anything but only distroyed
>  (and they continue to do that) whatever they find in their pass.
>  They definitely contributed and still contribute barbarians to humanity.

(by cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA, no personal signature)

I am not a nationalist at all, but I happen to be a Turk, and a
generalization like the one above includes me and friends that I like in the
group of people who destroy 'whatever they find in their pass' (sic).
Friends here at the Computer Vision and Robotics Lab where I happen to be the
system manager seem to think that I am rather constructive.

Turk or not, I think this kind of discriminatory generalizations about
nations or races should be kept out of the discussions here, or at least
should be accompanied whith comments like 'My personal opinion is...' instead
of 'They definitely contributed and still contribute barbarians to humanity.'

Cem Eskenazi
...{ihnp4,decvax,....}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!system
McGill University
Electrical Engineering
Montreal, Que.
Tel.: (514) 392 5396

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/16/85)

As I said in the same note on net.politics I agree with you (Mr. Eskenazi and
those who critisized my previous note) that my characterizations where
unacceptably general. Below I post my response on the same question that
was also posted on net.politics:

--------from net.politics cdp@uiucdcs------