[comp.sys.next] Multiple Serial Ports

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (05/26/90)

I saw some mention of an ethernet serial port box on this group.  Or am
I dreaming.  Does anyone know details of a method to add 8 or 16 serial
ports to the NeXT?

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

simsong@athena.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) (05/26/90)

I have been trying to interest several third party manufactuers in the
idea of producing a board that would plug into the back of the cube and
give the user 8 or 16 serial ports.  They could be either 8-pin MAC
style ports or (better) 9-pin IBM PC/AT style ports.

Such a board would make the cube an ideal machine for serving as
a telecom hub.  For an extra $20/port, you could make the ports be
2400 baud modems.

Such a board would cost no more than $200 to make, in quantity, and could
sell for $2000 or more.  Any takers?

jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May26.031932.7867@athena.mit.edu>
	simsong@athena.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) writes:
>I have been trying to interest several third party manufactuers in the
>idea of producing a board that would plug into the back of the cube and
>give the user 8 or 16 serial ports.

I saw an advertisement recently for SCSI serial ports for a SUN.  It may
have been an ad in the Sun Observer.   All you'd need for this sort
of thing is the device driver.

neil@zardoz.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (06/08/90)

In article <2908@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) writes:
>In article <1990May26.031932.7867@athena.mit.edu>
>>I have been trying to interest several third party manufactuers in the
>>idea of producing a board that would plug into the back of the cube and
>>give the user 8 or 16 serial ports.
>I saw an advertisement recently for SCSI serial ports for a SUN.  It may
>have been an ad in the Sun Observer.   All you'd need for this sort
>of thing is the device driver.

That's us 8-).  By a happy coincidence, we have had a NeXt system in
my office for the last few days (along with a Sparcstation, Solbourne,
Data General Aviion, and IBM 6000, you'd probably love my office
equipment 8-), and have been porting the SLAT to it.  It should be
finished in less than a week.  No drivers are involved, we use a
daemon that runs in the background.  And of course, no kernel
rebuilding.  If you want more information, please email
sales@zardoz.cpd.com or call (800)433-6784 and ask for sales.
--
Neil Gorsuch     INTERNET: neil@zardoz.cpd.com      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100