[comp.sys.next] LaserWriter with NeXT

nevai@gem.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (10/17/89)

Is it possible to hook a NeXT to a Laserwriter (which is connected already to a
Mac on LocalTalk?

For instance, if Mac and NeXT are connected with ethernet? Is it then possible
to use the printer?

Please respond by email.
THANKS!!!

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue            1-(614)-292-5310.office@ans.machine
Columbus, OH 43210-1174               1-(614)-292-3317.secy
The United States of America          1-(614)-292-9180.fax

mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP (Taketoshi Mori) (06/02/90)

I have a simple question.

We have a Cube and a LaserWriter. They are connected via Null Modem
Cable.  Can't I use AppleTalk(LocalTalk) or thing like that instead
of Null Modem Cable?  Because 9600bps is so slow.

Please answer here. (comp.sys.next)

                    Taketoshi Mori (mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

|$@?9(J $@Ip=S(J(Taketoshi Mori)  $@El5~Bg3XBg3X1!9)3X7O8&5f2J>pJs9)3X@l96(J $@#M#1(J |
|$@")(J113$@El5~ETJ8(J$@5~6hK\6?(J7-3-1 $@El5~Bg3X9)3XIt5!3#9)3X2J(J $@0f>e!&0pMU8&5f<<(J |
|$@9)3XIt#29f4[(J 321-E $@>pJs%7%9%F%`9)3X8&5f<<(J    TEL:03-812-2111 ex.7416 |
|JUNET: mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp       tt06508@tecc.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp |

neil@zardoz.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (06/08/90)

In article <MORI.90Jun2165431@monoceros.jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP> mori@jsk.t.u-tokyo.AC.JP (Taketoshi Mori) writes:
>We have a Cube and a LaserWriter. They are connected via Null Modem
>Cable.  Can't I use AppleTalk(LocalTalk) or thing like that instead
>of Null Modem Cable?  Because 9600bps is so slow.

The port of our SCSI based serial/parallel port expansion box to the
NeXt should be done in less than a week.  I don't remember if the
LaserWriter has a Centronics interface, if so, that would speed things
up greatly.  If not, our serial ports go to 150K baud and beyond.
--
Neil Gorsuch     INTERNET: neil@zardoz.cpd.com      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100