[comp.sys.next] Mouse chattering

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/07/90)

Our mice on the cubes started to act strangely.
And I am pretty sure I am not alone with this problem.

Single clicks often turn into double and quadraple clicks,
probably because of chatterings in the switch contacts.
This causes nasty duplicate launches of programs done wia Browser
window, and unwanted multiple presses of buttons.

I am sure this can be prevented via software, though maybe not
in the current release (1.0 or 1.0a).

All that is needed is to force multple clicks coming in with
separations of, say, 50 msec or less into a single click.
Preferences app has a setting for the upper limit of click separations
for double clicks, but not the lower limit.

Is such a fix in release 1.0a?
(By the way, is there a file which lists all the files updated
 from 1.0?  I just want to replace only those files which are
 changed to avoid doing a full rebuild of the hard disk.)

If not, is there a way to fix this problem easily before 2.0
software release?

For now, I am using the other button on the mouse.
May be that is why Steve put two buttons that act identically by
default? :-<.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (06/08/90)

> And I am pretty sure I am not alone with this problem.
> Single clicks often turn into double and quadraple clicks,
> probably because of chatterings in the switch contacts.

No, you're not alone.  I've seen the same thing on three public use
NeXT's, and boy can it be annoying.  Also, if anyone knows a hardware
fix (some way to clean the microswitch?) that would be useful too.

Mark Adler
madler@tybalt.caltech.edu

lane@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Christopher Lane) (06/08/90)

In <1990Jun8.022421.9148@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu>, madler@piglet.caltech.edu
writes:

>> And I am pretty sure I am not alone with this problem.
>> Single clicks often turn into double and quadraple clicks,
>> probably because of chatterings in the switch contacts.
>
>No, you're not alone.  I've seen the same thing on three public use
>NeXT's, and boy can it be annoying.  Also, if anyone knows a hardware
>fix (some way to clean the microswitch?) that would be useful too.

Several users complained of this same problem with the mouse on one of our
NeXTs so I (unsoldered) and reversed the microswitches (yes, the machine was
beyond warranty :-).  My assumption was that is was more important to have a
solid left button and people could live with a sensitive right one.  Not a
great solution but it buys us another year.

Personally, I use a Xerox optical mouse (the best mice ever made) on my NeXT.
The wave form doesn't match the NeXT exactly (someday I'll play with some
capacitors) so it's a little shakey moving across the screen (i.e. I don't
recommend this for others) but after seven years of using Xerox mice, I've a
hard time breaking the habit (once a Xeroid, always a Xeroid ;-).  My current
mouse is based on the pre-reenforced two button Xerox 8000 optical mouse
design, so of course the left button completely breaks off every six months
and the mouse cover has to be replaced--but that's another story.

- Christopher
-------