[comp.sys.next] Mac OS 7.0 to use point-and-click

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (06/06/90)

When NeXT first came out with point-and-click to focus (i.e., to make a
window come to the front and become the key window requires you to move the
cursor onto the window and press the mouse button), there was a lot of
screaming and gnashing of teeth from Sun and Mac users, who were used to
just pointing at a window and banging on the keys.

Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.

So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/06/90)

In article <5635@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:

   When NeXT first came out with point-and-click to focus (i.e., to make a
   window come to the front and become the key window requires you to move the
   cursor onto the window and press the mouse button), there was a lot of
   screaming and gnashing of teeth from Sun and Mac users, who were used to
   just pointing at a window and banging on the keys.

   Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
   out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.

   So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)

   Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
   Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
   Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
   College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

I'm one of those people that doesn't like point-and-click to focus and
think that this should be a optional.  Going back and forth between
machines that use the two different methods is annoying as hell!
Apple should "steal" the better parts of the Next 8-).

-Mike

russell@acf4.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (06/06/90)

What are you talking about.  Clicking on a window on any Macintosh from day
1 brings that window to the front.  Input now goes to that window.

Sun and the X window folks use the other methods.

I take the Macintosh method.  If the Title bar has "bars" that is where
my input goes.  Not where mu mouse happens to be pointing.  On X windows
machines with the method of where the mouse is pointing (except if it is not
in the content region of a window...)

Bill

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (06/06/90)

In article <5635@helios.TAMU.EDU>, daugher@cs (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>When NeXT first came out with point-and-click to focus (i.e., to make a
>window come to the front and become the key window requires you to move the
>cursor onto the window and press the mouse button), there was a lot of
>screaming and gnashing of teeth from Sun and Mac users, who were used to
>just pointing at a window and banging on the keys.

I don't know about you, but this Mac user has been using
point-and-click to focus since System 1.0...

>Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
>out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.

We are you getting this info - it's just plain wrong...the Mac
interface has always been click-to-focus.

anders

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (06/06/90)

In article <5635@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>When NeXT first came out with point-and-click to focus (i.e., to make a
>window come to the front and become the key window requires you to move the
>cursor onto the window and press the mouse button), ...

>Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
>out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.

I must be missing something, but as I recall, Macs had the
point-and-click-to-focus method ever since day one of release.  I
don't think 7.0 will be different in that regard.

It's one of those religious issues, I believe, so NeXT may want to let
the user decide via a preference panel or something.

						Eric Ly

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (06/06/90)

In article <5635@helios.TAMU.EDU> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>When NeXT first came out with point-and-click to focus (i.e., to make a
>window come to the front and become the key window requires you to move the
>cursor onto the window and press the mouse button), there was a lot of
>screaming and gnashing of teeth from Sun and Mac users, who were used to
>just pointing at a window and banging on the keys.

Huh?

The Mac uses the click-a-window-to-activate-it method.  Suns don't,
unfortunately, and neither do Iris workstations.

I don't like having to point to a window when I want to type in it.
Especially at times when there's one small window on the screen, and I
type gobs of stuff (yes, I have to look at the keyboard when I type...
:-P ) only to look up and find that the mouse was really pointing to
some other random part of the screen, and all my typing was for
naught.  "There's only one friggin' window up there!  Why do I have to
point to it?"

However, I like the fact that, on the NeXT, a window doesn't
necessarily have to be in the front and completely visible to type in
it.  (If another application comes up and blocks your view with its
window, your typing is unaffected.)  I wish that the NeXT and/or the
Mac would allow you to select a window a few layers down without
having to bring it to the front.  Nonintuitive, possibly, but useful.

>Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
>out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I could sell you some real estate in Florida...  ;-)

>So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)

Just wait 'till IBM gets in on the game with their Mach clones.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
... s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

erica@kong.gatech.edu (Erica Liebman) (06/06/90)

Here's a REAL chuckle...

Y'know interviews?  Distributed with X these days?  Well, you have
to the hotspot of the cursor on top of a string-edit box to
add text, even after clicking.  If you move the cursor OUT of the
string-edit box, even IN the dialog box itself, you can't enter
text.  And there's a silly bug where you CAN enter text into the
active string-edit box if the cursor is pointing to ANY OTHER string
edit box.  Is this dumb or what?  This is of course, my humble
experience with interviews.  #include<std.apologies.h> to any
real interview-weenie, but gimme IB >any day!<

Erica
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Erica J. Liebman 			Internet: erica@kong.gatech.edu
    "Grep foo whilst ye may, oh daemons of the spring" -- EJL

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (06/06/90)

In article <13954@csli.Stanford.EDU> dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T.
Ly) writes:
> It's one of those religious issues, I believe, so NeXT may want to let
> the user decide via a preference panel or something.

Given the way that the NeXT is designed with respect to menus, it would be
difficult to just allow focus on cursor as a preference.  Think of a screen
setup where there is no background path from where your cursor is to where
the application's menu is.  This means that you would have to potentially
cross windows from other applications.  As you do, you focus in turn on
each window along your cursor path.  By the time your cursor gets to the
menu area, the menu you are interested in is long gone.

However, one way to allow focus on cursor might be to force the user to
enable the menu mouse button when they enable focus on cursor.  This way,
access to an application's menu no longer requires cursor movement.

Replies may have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) (06/06/90)

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:

>Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
>out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.

>So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)

That's how Macs have always been. The other way is stupid. Who needs
to type in a window that you can't see?

"I've got good news. The gum you like is going to come back in style."
--
Chris Whatley - Research Systems Administrator UT-Austin Mathematics
E-mail: chari@math.utexas.edu (NeXT) Ph: (O):512/471-7711 (H):512/499-0475

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (06/07/90)

While some of you wish that Apple stole the the better part of the NeXT system,
I hope that NeXT will be able to steal the better part of the Apple GUI.

I, for one, would love to have the option of putting the menus from the top
left of the screen to a place where they consume less real estate. And, the
black top-bars on applications don't use real-estate very productively.
Displaying only the application name is a bit wasteful. Yes, I do really wish
that I could put the main menu onto these bars---just as the Mac does. I
realize that not everyone shares my point of view, so it could be optional.
(And despite this disagreement with NeXT, I am very happy overall with the NeXT
GUI.)

/ivo welch

alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (06/07/90)

Daugherity) writes:
> Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
> out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.
>
> So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)

I think that you've confused two issues.

a) As others have pointed out, the Mac has always allowed you to click in
a window to switch to it.

b) Some dialogs in System 7.0 permit typing to select items in a list.
Some dialogs have more than one list, or a text field that also need to be
typed into. Apple uses a "focus" rectangle to indicate which list/text
field receives the keystrokes. Text Fields have their text highlighted or
an insertion point put in them when they are active, and lists have a thin
black border added around them. Examples of this behavior are Chooser and
SFPutFile. (Several other windows have focus as well.)

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alexr  - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     - BITNET:alexr%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET- Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.    -             -

davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.171736.21153@midway.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>I, for one, would love to have the option of putting the menus from the top
>left of the screen to a place where they consume less real estate. And, the
>black top-bars on applications don't use real-estate very productively.
>Displaying only the application name is a bit wasteful. Yes, I do really wish
>that I could put the main menu onto these bars---just as the Mac does.

Well, using Preferences you can specify where you want menus to appear
-- check the monitor options.  It's even possible to have the menus
appear off-screen (almost) by dragging the Preferences menu as far
off-screen as you can.

And of course you can use pop-up menus.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (06/07/90)

In article <10164@hydra.gatech.EDU> erica@kong.gatech.edu (Erica Liebman) writes:
>Y'know interviews?  Distributed with X these days?  Well, you have
>to the hotspot of the cursor on top of a string-edit box to
>add text, even after clicking.

Look, that was a bug. It does not happen anymore. Also note that
InterViews is *free*, is one of many of options for programming X, and
is constantly improved (for *free*). These guys developed some
software and gave it away at an early stage in order that anyone would
have a chance to contribute ideas and code. That's the way some people
like to develop thing, as community projects.  If you don't like it,
change it or don't use it. If you don't have anything to contribute
but ridicule, shut up.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | NeXT: A disaster looking for a place
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | to happen  -- Bill Joy

In article <chari.644687849@fireant.ma.utexas.edu> chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:
>daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>>Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
>>out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.
>
>That's how Macs have always been. The other way is stupid. Who needs
>to type in a window that you can't see?

What do you mean by "type in a window that you can't see"? The issue
is how to decide which window takes the input when you can see more
than one window at the same time. There are several options

   1) the "front" window
   2) the window the mouse cursor points to
   3) the window last clicked in.

The Mac combines 1) and 3) (the window last clicked at is always at
the front (well, almost). Many systems does not have a notion of
"front" or "active" window, and therefore has the choice of 2) and 3)
only. None of those are "stupid", just different. Note that with 3),
in *can* at times point to windows I can't see.

The notion of a "front" window is really a left-over from the
single-tasking nature of the Mac.

/Lars
--

In article <28980007@acf4.NYU.EDU> russell@acf4.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) writes:
>What are you talking about.  Clicking on a window on any Macintosh from day
>1 brings that window to the front.  Input now goes to that window.
>
>Sun and the X window folks use the other methods.

Both SunView (I guess that's what you mean by Sun?) and X can have it
either way. Your choice.

>I take the Macintosh method.  If the Title bar has "bars" that is where
>my input goes.

I like to use the point-with-the-mouse method, combined with visual
highlighting of the window that currently takes input ("bars" in the
title-bar or whatever). There are times where I like to force the
input to stay with a specific window no matter where I move the mouse.
Happily, X lets me do that with a single mouse-click.

To each his own. That's (part of) the beauty of X.

/Lars
--

In article <1990Jun6.210828.1885@portia.Stanford.EDU>, davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) writes...
>Well, using Preferences you can specify where you want menus to appear
>-- check the monitor options.  It's even possible to have the menus
>appear off-screen (almost) by dragging the Preferences menu as far
>off-screen as you can.

>And of course you can use pop-up menus.

Well, you must either have a different NeXT computer or different preferences
application, or I was not clear what I wanted. Moving the menu around is pretty
much useless. The menu has to be on the left-hand side because the submenus
appear to its right. Moreover, the menus will still occupy a lot of space on
the left somewhere, and the bar noting the application will still be empty.

How do you get pop-up menus (on the bar?) ?

/ivo welch

bokonon@amy4.stanford.edu (jeffrey wishnie) (06/07/90)

>I, for one, would love to have the option of putting the menus from the top
>left of the screen to a place where they consume less real estate. And, the
>black top-bars on applications don't use real-estate very productively.
>Displaying only the application name is a bit wasteful. Yes, I do really wish
>that I could put the main menu onto these bars---just as the Mac does.

If by the black top-bars of applications you mean the title bar on top of
windows, putting menus there could cause a lot of problems. A lot of Apps don't
always have a window present (i.e. WriteNow or Frame with no documents open
display only a menu) where would you put the menu then?

I think Dave Finkelstein's suggestion to move your menus off screen (you can
drop them so only about 3 or 4 pixels of the title bar show) and use pop
up menus is a good solution.

Also, some apps like Communicae and AltDoc have the option of hiding the menu.
The main is then accessible only from the mouse button. Maybe more third-party
developers could offer this option.

jeff wishnie
bokonon@portia.stanford.edu

nick@bischeops.UUCP (Nick Bender) (06/07/90)

In article <chari.644687849@fireant.ma.utexas.edu>, chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:
> daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>
> >Now Apple has announced that version 7.0 of the Mac operating system, due
> >out later this year, will switch to point-and-click to focus.
>
> >So Steve is still helping design Apples! :-)
>
> That's how Macs have always been. The other way is stupid. Who needs
> to type in a window that you can't see?

Enough already. Its a classic trade-off as far as I'm concerned. Having
started on Suns got used to point-to-focus. Then I got stuck using UIS
(that truly scary window systems on the Microvax before DECwindows) which
is click-to-type. Then I started using X in point-to-type mode (again).
Now I'm happily hacking NeXT (click-to-type), and an HP under X11R4
with twm (in point-to-type mode). Which way is better? Neither. Which
is stupid? Neither. Why would anyone want to type in a window they can't
see? Because its behind a big picture and they can see the one line they
are typing. Besides, someone posted a neat window server hack which allows
me to lower the focus window with command-downArrow on NeXT, and twm allows
me to lock focus on a window. I get what I want either way. Let's talk
about something interesting now.

Nick					nick%bischeops@uunet.uu.net

chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) (06/07/90)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
>I like to use the point-with-the-mouse method, combined with visual
>highlighting of the window that currently takes input ("bars" in the
>title-bar or whatever). There are times where I like to force the
>input to stay with a specific window no matter where I move the mouse.
>Happily, X lets me do that with a single mouse-click.

>To each his own. That's (part of) the beauty of X.

The beauty of X?? What planet are you from? X is a major kludge
(albeit a very useful one) whose only claim to fame is its free-ness.
X is about as beautiful as an IBM OS. Before you start flaming me
back, I should say that I use X daily and generally like the newest
release. I just consider it to be about as elegant as Ripple (Hobo
wine).

--

In article <1990Jun7.002601.4978@midway.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Well, you must either have a different NeXT computer or different preferences
>application, or I was not clear what I wanted. Moving the menu around is pretty
>much useless. The menu has to be on the left-hand side because the submenus
>appear to its right. Moreover, the menus will still occupy a lot of space on
>the left somewhere, and the bar noting the application will still be empty.
>
>How do you get pop-up menus (on the bar?) ?

Whoops I'm sorry, you specify Menu location under General Preferences
(click on the Cube), not MegaPixel Display Preferences.

The Mouse Preferences allows you to enable the Menu Button, which is
either the left or right (your choice) button on the mouse.  By
pressing the Menu Button, the main menu for the currently active
application will appear under the pointer.  You can then drag down
through this menu to select commands or submenus.

I don't know of a way to have applications put their menus on the
window Title Bar.

bruce@atncpc.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (06/07/90)

In article <FISCHER.90Jun6224709@thiele.iesd.auc.dk>, fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:

> change it or don't use it. If you don't have anything to contribute
> but ridicule, shut up.
>
> /Lars
> --
> Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | NeXT: A disaster looking for a place
> CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | to happen  -- Bill Joy

You know, I don't think you read what your write before you post it.  Remeber
now, if you can.... this is comp.sys.next.  Not comp.windows.x or whatever
you foul tempered, pimple poping, X worshipers call it.  If you don't have
anything to contribute but ridicule, shut up! (to use your own dim witted
phrase!).

And I think that NeXT really is a disaster waiting to happen also. A
disaster for X - biggots like yourself.  Attacking us because you feel
a little threatened is not going to do anything but hasten the day of
your own doom by galvanizing people like myself.

Grow A Brain

Bruce

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (06/08/90)

In article <chari.644687849@fireant.ma.utexas.edu> chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:
>daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) writes:
>
>>out later this year, [Apple] will switch to point-and-click to focus.
>
>That's how Macs have always been. The other way is stupid. Who needs
>to type in a window that you can't see?

Apparently Sun, Iris, X Window System, ...,  users :-)!

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) (06/08/90)

I much prefer the point-and-click to focus method over the mouse in
window to focus method.  Point-and-click allows me to lock onto the
window I want to use. If I want to use a menu, I can move the mouse, pull
the menu, and not have to worry about repositioning the mouse back to my
window. My pointer stays where I use it the most (for some applications)
at the menu area, and I can type without having an annonying pointer
somewhere over my text/graphic area. I don't think this method is a
limitation reflecting the single-tasking OS of the Mac. You still have to
move the cursor to the window in either method, and an additional click
doesn't bother me.  If this really is a religious issue, then the best
method would be to have both available and to let the user decide.

Mark Kern
   Mark Edward Kern, mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  A.Online: Markus
      Quagmire Studios U.S.A. "We not only hear you, we feel you !"

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun7.002601.4978@midway.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Well, you must either have a different NeXT computer or different preferences
>application, or I was not clear what I wanted. Moving the menu around is pretty
>much useless. The menu has to be on the left-hand side because the submenus
>appear to its right. Moreover, the menus will still occupy a lot of space on
>the left somewhere, and the bar noting the application will still be empty.
>
>How do you get pop-up menus (on the bar?) ?
>
>/ivo welch

I usually enable the right mouse button as the menu button using Preferences.
This gives you a pop-up of the main menu when you hold down the button you
specify (so the two buttons no longer behave identically).

Preferences does not allow you to move the default menu location all the way
off the screen or even such that only the title of the menu appears at the
bottom of the screen.  To do this, use the Shell and type the following:

  dwrite GLOBAL NXMenuX "   0"
  dwrite GLOBAL NXMenuY "  20"

This puts the menu at the bottom left of the screen with only the menu title
showing.  To put the menu completely off the screen, change NXMenuY to zero.

Edward Jung
Systems Strategy/Architecture
Microsoft Corporation

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (06/09/90)

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) writes:
> In article <13954@csli.Stanford.EDU> dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T.
> Ly) writes:
> > It's one of those religious issues, I believe, so NeXT may want to let
> > the user decide via a preference panel or something.
>
> Given the way that the NeXT is designed with respect to menus, it would be
> difficult to just allow focus on cursor as a preference.  Think of a screen
> setup where there is no background path from where your cursor is to where
> the application's menu is.  This means that you would have to potentially
> cross windows from other applications.  As you do, you focus in turn on
> each window along your cursor path.  By the time your cursor gets to the
> menu area, the menu you are interested in is long gone.

This is a good point, but it could be done. The scheme on X is simply
to direct keyboard input. Therefore, I can see a NeXT environment
which would place keyboard input in whatever window the mouse was
placed, but a button-press would change the menus in the corner and
bring the window to the front.

Why do I like this? Because I start a job in one window, hit the mouse
with my knuckle to another window, and perform something else while I
wait. And if something in a Terminal running telnet to another machine
catches my eye, I can zip to it, take care of it, and return without
breaking my chain of thought. It's not worth it to have to click there
and wait for the WndwMgr to bring the window to the front and redraw
the corner menus, all so that I can send two keystrokes to a remote
host...

The only reason I don't mind the Mac interface is because I have never
had to use a mac for very long whose screen was big enough for several
whole windows to appear at once. There, it makes sense for a keyclick
to be required, because you can't see the damned thing if it is behind
the front window. But try a mac with Multifinder and a
workstation-size screen. It's Drudgery, and your arm starts to hurt.

Further, ever notice what happens on NeXT when you quit an
application? No focus! I quit something, start typing, but
nothing appears because NeXT doesn't know where to go. If focus
followed the mouse, keyboard input would be directed to the right
place while the other application quietly quit. There's no reason one
has to watch it go. There is other focus weirdness concerning
child-parent and transient windows (like the find window from the
Digital Library) that I hope NeXT fixes in the next release.

Really, once you get used to a focus-follow-mouse environment, you
find yourself making use of much more of your screen at once. Of
course, even in X you are allowed a choice, and I think that if there
is one thing that NeXT should not copy from Apple, that is a
hard-coded interface; allow people to suit the interface to their
needs. I still remember Jobs introducing the first Macs in 1984 with
no arrow keys on the keyboard because he wanted to "force" people to
use mice for cursor movement.

|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |