[comp.sys.next] How to generate a banner page for each print job?

giant@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Buc Richards) (06/06/90)

How does one get a NeXT printer, attached to a cube, to print a banner
page with each print job?  I tried setting "sh" to true in the
/etc/printcap file and niload'ed the file with no luck.

Thanks for the assistance.

        Buc Richards                              @ @
        Supercomputer Support Staff                 >
        Stanford University                        -

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (06/06/90)

In article <9854@lindy.Stanford.EDU> giant@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Buc Richards) writes:

>How does one get a NeXT printer, attached to a cube, to print a banner
>page with each print job?

Read pscomm(8) on how to set up a .options file in the spooling
directory.  You may want to specify BANNERFIRST or BANNERLAST.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/06/90)

In article <9854@lindy.Stanford.EDU> giant@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Buc Richards) writes:

>How does one get a NeXT printer, attached to a cube, to print a banner
>page with each print job?

The official answer from NeXT is:  1.0 doesn't do banner pages.

Why they broke this, I don't know; 0.8 did banner pages just fine.

Steve
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/07/90)

In article <4897@mace.cc.purdue.edu> abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:
>In article <9854@lindy.Stanford.EDU> giant@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Buc Richards) writes:

>>How does one get a NeXT printer, attached to a cube, to print a banner
>>page with each print job?

>Read pscomm(8) on how to set up a .options file in the spooling
>directory.  You may want to specify BANNERFIRST or BANNERLAST.

I don't think that the NeXT printer, attached to a cube, uses the
pscomm program.  That's for serially connected printers, and is
part of TranScript from Adobe.

Without really knowing, I'd bet that you can't get banner pages on
the NeXT printer.

Glenn Reid

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (06/09/90)

In article <180@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> In article <4897@mace.cc.purdue.edu> abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:
> >In article <9854@lindy.Stanford.EDU> giant@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Buc Richards) writes:
> I don't think that the NeXT printer, attached to a cube, uses the
> pscomm program.  That's for serially connected printers, and is
> part of TranScript from Adobe.

BANNERFIRST and BANNERLAST in the .options file under 0.8 and 0.9 (I think)
did produce a banner page on a NeXT printer.  Pscomm(8) just happens to
document those options.  However, as Steve Dorner has observed, the NeXT
printer driver in 1.0 ignores the .option file.  Perhaps someone from NeXT
will speak up and reveal the secret of how to get a banner page under 1.0.