[comp.sys.next] How do I read NeXTmail sent to other machines?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (06/08/90)

It happens every time -- someone sends NeXTmail to my Vax, and I end
up with a huge uuencoded glob.

I tried ftp'ing the mess to my NeXT and using NeXTmail on it.  It
tried to convert the uuencoded file from 0.9 to 1.0 format, then
showed me the file -- a lot of uuencoded mush in a mail window.

So, my question: If someone sends NeXTmail (with fonts and files and
such stuffed into it) to a machine unable to read it, how do I get it
onto my NeXT in a form which the NeXT mailer can read?

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
... s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (06/09/90)

In article <17084@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> So, my question: If someone sends NeXTmail (with fonts and files and
> such stuffed into it) to a machine unable to read it, how do I get it
> onto my NeXT in a form which the NeXT mailer can read?

I ran into this problem earlier in the week.  Here's what you need to do...

1)  Forward the mail to your NeXT account.  (VMS Mail's FORWARD command)

2)  When you get on the NeXT, DO NOT Lanch Mail.app...you need to clean the
    file up, first.

3)  Launch Edit, and open the file /usr/spool/mail/UserId
    (where 'UserId' is your User ID)

4)  Find the mail message that your forwarded from your VMS account.  You
    will noticed groups of headers ('Received', 'Date', 'From', etc)
    separated by blank lines.  Somewhere in one of the groups there
    will be a line that begins with 'Next-Attachment'.  Do not delete
    this line.  Do delete any other header messages that are not in the first
    group.  In my mail file, I had 3 groups of header messages, with the
    'Next-Attachment's line being in the last group.

5)  Save the file.

6)  Launch Mail.app.  It should find the message, complete with attachment,
    now.

Using this method, the return address to the original sender is not saved,
but this is the easiest way that I've found to read the mail.

E-mail or post if you have any questions or problems...

Peter
--
Peter Murray	                       215 Foxfire Dr #308, Oxford, Ohio  45056
ACS Consultant                                           pemurray@miavx1.bitnet

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (06/10/90)

alternatively, you can ftp your NeXTmail message to a NeXT machine, and
execute the following script:
#
# extract the NeXT-encoded mail message in /tmp/NeXTmsg
#
cd /tmp
rm .tar*
uudecode NeXTmsg
set tname = .tar*
mv $tname NeXTmsg.Z
chmod 644 NeXTmsg.Z
mkdir d$tname
cd d$tname
zcat ../NeXTmsg.Z | tar xf -
open .

                                             .mike.

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (06/10/90)

In article <17084@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>It happens every time -- someone sends NeXTmail to my Vax, and I end
>up with a huge uuencoded glob.
>
>So, my question: If someone sends NeXTmail (with fonts and files and
>such stuffed into it) to a machine unable to read it, how do I get it
>onto my NeXT in a form which the NeXT mailer can read?

Ah yes, I just did this the other night so let me explain while its still
fresh in my mind.

1) save the mail message to a file, name it something like foobar.tar.Z.uu
2) remove all the mail header garbage up to the line that looks something
   like "begin 0 .tar......"
3) edit the first line of the file to be "begin 600 foobar.tar.Z".
   The way it was will save a file that you wouldn't have permission to read
   and wouldn't normally see because it is a .file.
4) run the file through uudecode: "uudecode foobar.tar.Z.uu"
5) uncompress the resulting file: "uncompress foobar.tar.Z"
6) untar the uncompressed file: "tar xvf foobar.tar"

and now you will have some files that you can open up (they might be tiff,
rtf, or whatnot (maybe a directory if they send you a directory full of
files), and a file index.rtf that was the mail message that told where
the attachment was and the text of the mail (I think)).
You'll know what to do though when you see what files there are after
you untar.

Let me know if you have any problems,
Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu