[comp.sys.next] NeXT in Australia

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) (06/11/90)

Will we eventually see the NeXT machine in Australia ?
If yes.. come someone give me some details (ie when who where etc)
If no.. What is NeXTs' policy on personal import (ie can I get one
shipped out to me ? if so are power conversions practical ?

I am very keen to get one of these machines
We can't have you lucky Americans having all the fun now can we :-)

Thanks in advance
Ralph Schwarten
Dept. Computing and Info Tech
Bond University
Gold Coast
Australia
goose@hal.nmg.bu.oz.au

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (06/12/90)

In article <1141@surf.sics.bu.oz> goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) writes:
>Will we eventually see the NeXT machine in Australia ?
>If yes.. come someone give me some details (ie when who where etc)
>If no.. What is NeXTs' policy on personal import (ie can I get one
>shipped out to me ? if so are power conversions practical ?

Re power, the NeXT runs on anything from 90 to 270 volts, 47 to 63Hz,
according to the specs (although the back of the cube says a slightly
narrower range, 100-240 volts at 50-60 Hz), so all you'll need is to cut off
the mains plug and install the proper one for your outlets (2 round pins as I
recall).

The NeXT laser printer is switch-selectable to 115 or 220 volts, 50-60 Hz, so
once again a new plug should do it.

Good day!

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET